Saturday, February 21, 2015

World Waterpark and the West Edmonton Mall

It was a three hour drive from Calgary to Edmonton during which we encountered lots of flat landscape and some really strange weather. Upon crossing city lines into Edmonton, it didn't really seem like a city to me and my main thought, knowing that the largest mall in North America is across town, was why the hell is there so much shopping? What else could these people possibly need?

We checked into our hostel, this time we're in a six bed female dorm but we're the only ones here so far. No complaints about that, except that the bunks are incredible close together and I'm on the bottom, so you can bet there have been/will be some bumped heads.

We left for the West Edmonton Mall -- the largest mall in North America -- pretty quickly. Upon arriving, I'd say the first surprise was that the Target was having a going out of business sale. Since when does Target go out of business?!

Actually entering the mall was like entering another world and I was pretty intimidated at first. We found the food court (except they don't call it that -- too mundane -- we found The Gourmet Center) and ended up getting really, REALLY spicy grilled cheese sandwiches. There is still a fire in my mouth, everyone!

Just so you all know, The Gourmet Center is attached to the mall's theme park, Galaxy Land. We didn't visit Galaxy Land, but here's a pic.

Yeah, that's a roller coaster in the background
We headed to our real destination: World Waterpark, which features the world's largest indoor wave pool.
Look. At. That.
It was a marvelous time. The big deal for me was that I went on a water slide in Whitney's honor. Do you see the slide that loops up, instead of down? Yeah, I did that. Whitney would have died if I hadn't, so I did. Not only did I do that, but it was one of the water slides where the floor drops out from underneath you and away you go. I did that.

I did that.
We wandered the mall some more, scoping out activities for today and deciding that an 8pm movie would be a good way to end the day. During this time, I got a cupcake and the who am I question popped back up, because I actually tried and liked the frosting! It has Oreos in it! Who am I?


We saw The Duff which was surprisingly cute, albeit predictable. HOWEVER, their mascot was the Blue Devils, they used the song Sexy Silk AND the actress who plays Nina from Easy A were all in it. It was like Easy A junior.

When we left the mall, it was snowing and I took a massive digger trying to clean off the car. No bruises to prove it but I landed right on my thumb of all body parts and it hurts to type! I'm clearly dedicated to my blogging hobby.

No comments:

Post a Comment