Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Punk Rock Bingo

Our hostel is pretty cool and we've really enjoyed our stay here. They advertise a lot of fun stuff to do in the area and yesterday, they had a posting for Punk Rock Bingo at a local bar, Ship & Anchor. Curious, we decided to attend.

We arrived at the bar at 7 even though bingo didn't start until 8 and that turned out to be a very good decision because the place quickly got packed. Before we even got to bingo, we got dinner and the food there was really good. We started off with fried pickles and then I had fish and chips (I'm working on being a pescetarian, not a full-blown vegetarian over here). The most exciting part of the night (even more exciting than bingo if you ask me) was discovering that the bar carries my most favorite South African treat, Savanna Dry Hard Cider.

This hard cider might be the love of my alcoholic life. In fact, it might just be the love of my life! Looking it up, it is the third-largest cider brand in the world and sold in 40 countries but you still can't get it in the States! I found it last summer in Germany and brought a bottle home but I haven't had the heart to open it yet. Trust me, I will be the first person in line to buy it when it comes to the US. As I texted my sister last night, there is Thomson BSD and Thomson ASD (*Before Savanna Dry/After Savanna Dry) because this cider changed my life. Mandy took a taste and really liked it too! I'll be scoping menus here on out to see where else I can get it when we go out.

Punk Rock Bingo is a lot like regular bingo except the music is louder, there is more swearing and a lot more drunkeness. There were a lot of prizes to be won (including gift cards to the local tattoo parlors because what is more punk rock than that) and mini-games in between rounds to win even more prizes for the bingo-ly challenged. Each game had three rounds, the first round you just needed to make a line of five, the second you needed to make a specific shape and the third you had to black out the entire board. We came really close to winning but alas... Mandy, however, did win one of the mini-games and got us a $2 gift card to Burger Inn, which just happens to be one of the restaurants on our milkshake hit list. (She actually won two $2 gift cards but my tour partner is a decent human and gave the other one to the game's loser).

My tour partner also happens to still be asleep despite the jack hammer outside of our window right now. We're going to yoga in a bit and then we have to check out a pizza shop called Gaga Pizzeria simply because it's Gaga and Mandy's Gaga obsession knows no limits.

No comments:

Post a Comment