Tuesday, February 17, 2015

The Calgary Flames

Doesn't it seem a little counter-intuitive to name a hockey team after a heat source? But then again, what has a bear got to do with hockey.

The hockey game tonight was a lot of fun (even though the Bruins ruined everything at the last second!) and I'm glad we got to go.

We were wayyy up at the very top of the Scotiabank Saddledome as in, we were probably closer to Heaven than we were to the hockey game. But we were also damn close to center, so not too shabby for girls who bought their tickets on Friday.

God's view of the rink
I resisted the urge to buy a soda but I did buy a monster bag of popcorn for the game time festivities.

Do I know anything about hockey? No, not really. Except I did know key words like hat-rick and facts like that hockey has three 20-minute periods. I also know that the Bruins managed to lose it in the last second of the game. They had been winning up until the third period and then BOOM! Tie game. They went into overtime and it looked like it was going to be a shoot out but with one second left, ONE SECOND LEFT, Calgary scored! Obviously, it was pretty cool to see "The C of Red" celebrate a pretty spectacular win but it would have been nice to see the Bruins win too.

On the way out, Mandy apologized that the Bruins lost and I said that it was ok, because it wasn't like they were the Packers or anything. I'm a horrible tour partner.

4 comments:

  1. FYI, the Flames originated in the 1970s as the Atlanta Flames -- named for something that consumed the city during the Civil War, so possibly even stranger -- and when the team was moved to Calgary around 1980, they kept the name (and when Atlanta got a new team in like 2000), it was called the Atlanta Thrashers (that's about a bird, and not about punk rock).

    And it's a hat trick (someone scores three goals and people tip their hats to him by throwing them onto the ice for the player ...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. I looked it up, you can spell it either way

      Delete
  2. Please show me where it says someone can use your spelling .... "hat-rick" (missing the second t) ... as I have never seen that one in my life.

    ReplyDelete