Monday, February 16, 2015

Twas a Mac and Cheese Type of Day

We had a very lazy morning here in Calgary, staying in until our tour guide came to pick us up. James was very nice and told us he was going to take us to one of his favorite restaurants. We climbed in his car and zipped off.

He took us to the Lazy Loaf & Kettle, a restaurant that had come up in our search for veggie-friendly eating but I had given up hope on because it is on the other side of Calgary and we're not interested in doing any city driving this week, so that was pretty perfect! It was mainly a soup/salad/sandwich place but they had a mac and cheese special and since that is my jam, I went with that.

I made the right decision! It was delicious and everyone was very jealous of my awesome meal.

We walked around a part of Calgary called Kensington and visited the Peace Bridge which is apparently a bit of a joke here because it was ungodly expensive and sort of strange looking. I just want to know why the Canadians bothered to build a covered bridge that was only partially covered? Because this thing had all sorts of holes for snow and the wind to blow through.

We hung out at a pub for a bit and then went for ice cream at a little hole in the wall shop called Village Ice Cream that we never would have found if not for James (it was legitimately hidden. You can't see it from the street!). I got melted chocolate ice cream although their "seasonal flavor" of the moment is cereal milk crunch which I guess must taste like cereal milk and is apparently very popular.

We said goodbye to James and then Mandy and I spent a few quiet moments at the hostel before setting off for Stephen Avenue. This little shopping street is closed to cars for the majority of the day, so it is super easy to navigate BUT you'll never guess what we saw when we were there!
I'M FAMOUS!
Yup, Calgary named a restaurant after me! I'm famous.

We kept walking along, bringing my beloved book crawl to Canada when we stopped in at Shelf Life Books for some browsing. We marched back to 17th Avenue and headed to The Big Cheese Poutinerie.

Yes, Canadians are so serious about their poutine that they have dedicated entire restaurants to its goodness. It's a good thing I'm not eating meat right now, otherwise, I never would have left! There were so. many. choices!!!

I went with mac and cheese poutine. My entire life had been leading up to the moment that the heavenly goodness of mac and cheese would combine with the heavenly goodness of poutine and I am a changed woman.

It's almost time for the hockey game, which happens to only be a few blocks away. We haven't bought any Calgary Flames swag yet, but it might have to happen. We shall see!

No comments:

Post a Comment