Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Musee Heritage Museum

Today we went to St. Albert's Heritage Museum. It was very small but also free, which makes it my favorite type of museum. I'm still a bit upset that the grain elevator portion of the museum is closed during the winter but I might drive over there anyways to check it out, because a museum for grain and the related elevators sounds equal parts dull and fascinating.

The Heritage Museum (which is literally called Musee Heritage Museum because of Canada and their two official languages) is in a very science-fictiony looking building. Strange, I know.

I wish that the Heritage Museum had had more of an introduction to the actual heritage because I'm not quite sure where things began or ended. Apparently St. Albert was founded by the missionaries and the Hudson Bay Trading Company also came here and got with the natives and developed their own language and then there was a violin on display that didn't seem related to anything at all. There was also some taxidermy because I seriously needed more of that in my life.

They also had an exhibit that was for birch bark biting. Yes, it was art made of bark that women had bitten to make patterns. It was beautiful but still, they did it with their teeth. A) Who thought that was a good idea? They plaque literally said that they don't know where the tradition came from! B) Who has time for that?! C) Who pays for their dental insurance?

 I'm like the Michelangelo of magic markers
The highlight of the museum was probably the kids' section, where we got to color. Were we supposed to be in there? No. Did we go in there anyways? Of course. But seriously, I don't think the people who work there should really be complaining because I bet we were the only patrons they saw all day. I colored this lovely picture of berries. Mandy colored in a tree and the show off used colored pencils and did shading and all sorts of fanciness. 

Today in rehearsal, the kids told me that I remind them of the Youtube star, Miranda Sings because I talk about how awesome I am (and I really am awesome). Miranda Sings is an intentionally bad singer though so I'm not sure how I feel about that, but I'll take a compliment when it comes my way, regardless of the amount of shade that may or may not be attached. (They did say, however, that they love the woman who plays Miranda Sings who is a Broadway caliber performer, so that was reassuring). I am also responsible for giving Mandy major street cred with the high schoolers because yesterday I did her hair in "The Katniss Braid" which they thought was incredibly hip, so basically I'm cool, I just can't braid my own hair trendily enough.

Update on the baby. Henry Owen Lacey was born this morning, officially making Mandy an aunt. He weighed 9 lbs 9oz and was 22 inches long. Big. She is very excited and has already changed the background on her phone.

1 comment: