Wednesday, February 25, 2015

I cooked an egg!

I love breakfast. It is my favorite meal of the day. Sometimes I even pull a Lord of the Rings and have second breakfast like a hobbit.

But being on the road has meant a lot of hotel continental breakfasts and Tim Hortons! We actually haven't been able to cook at all unless you count a toaster and a microwave. Our billet this week has been pretty insistent on us taking advantage of everything they have to offer and last night, I had a need for eggs the same way The Flash has a need for speed and I thought this might be my chance to be good looking and get cooking.

After our morning workout (glutes and thighs today), we headed upstairs. Our host was in the shower but I dutifully waited, not wanting to start anything without permission (I did, of course, check the fridge for eggs in advance). Mandy asked if I might be able to make her a sunny-side up egg and went for a short skype conversation with her sister and her nephew for a bit, expecting to be back shortly.

Our host told me to get to work, so I made myself a sunny-side up egg and two thick slices of toast (that I had to slice myself! These people don't have sliced bread -- ok, they do, but I went for the fresh stuff). Despite being out of practice, I made myself the perfect egg and happily ate it all up with a glass of orange juice for good measure.

At this point, Mandy had not returned! Our host had left for the morning (but not until I'd given her a shopping list for us which was basically avocados for Mandy and smoothie supplies, still mostly for Mandy) and since I was already up and moving, I kept going. I put Mandy's egg on the stove (a gas stove, that was new for me) and peeled and sliced an avocado for her since she'd mentioned that that's what she'd like on the side instead of toast. I'm an overachiever though because I didn't just stop there; I remembered her mentioning that she liked salsa on her eggs and our host had some fresh salsa in the fridge so, of course I had to scoop some into a bowl for my tour partner who was celebrating the miracle of life! I tried to bring it to her in bed so she could stay on her computer but she sent me back up to the kitchen and came up for breakfast a minute later.

So, yup, I actually got to cook an egg! And Mandy said that her egg was good as well (although I did a pretty awful job at slicing the avocado...), so eggs again tomorrow if I have any say about it! Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment