Sunday, November 22, 2015

On the Road in the Air

Another Sunday, another travel day, except today, I didn't go by little red truck, I went by small, shiny airplane and then another larger, shinier airplane!

I have abandoned Montana for the week and replaced it with northern California. Davis, California to be specific -- home of my Aunt Eileen. Montana won't have too much time to miss me because I'll be back on Saturday, but it's nice to get a break!

I spent last night in Missoula because it was only 45 minutes away from St. Ignatius and it was easier than getting up at 3am to drive Melissa to her 5am flight and I took advantage of this proximity to civilization by going to see Mockingjay: Part 2, which was awesome. I did make plans to see it with my cousin after Thanksgiving, but I just couldn't wait!!! Plus I'm still very excited to see it again.

This morning was pretty chill. I got up, ate every TAD's favorite continental breakfast (Ruby's Inn and Convention Center, people!) and then headed out to do some last minute errands before it was time to take to the skies. One of these errands was going to Barnes and Noble; I have my kindle, but I've been feeling the desire to hold a real book recently, but I've also been shopping at used bookstores for a while now and forgot how much books actually cost... You want me to pay that for wordy paper? No thank you. I did buy myself a book of sudoku because I always do them when I'm on airplanes anyways and figured it would be a good way to kill some time.

My boss dropped me off at the airport and I was on my way. I was a little nervous when I looked at my ticket and realized just how short my layover in Denver would be (my flight from Missoula wasn't even supposed to get in until after my flight to Sacramento would have started boarding) but I ended up having plenty of time (I would have had more time if they hadn't decided to switch my gate to what felt like the absolute opposite side of the airport...).

Feeling exhausted of tiny boxes and numbers, I used my Kindle's 3G to download the book I had considered buying at Barnes and Noble until I realized that I might like to be able to buy myself dinner in the near future... This would be Jack Kerouac's On The Road. I'm on the road, so it feels appropriate. It's like reading Travels with Charley except with a more heightened sense of adolescent angst. But I started reading On The Road when I was not, in fact, on the road, but instead up in the air... I feel like the irony should get Kerouac's seal of approval.

Once I was back on the ground, I found myself hunting for geotags and looking for my Aunt Eileen. I found the geotags first. The Sacramento Airport appears to have an airport geotag, but it isn't the postage stamp I'm used to. Either way, it's pretty!

I found my aunt pretty quickly after that and we went out for some Thai food and to hear her friends' band. She plays in a band and I'm apparently going to meet them when they come over to practice in the morning. 

Now, I'm going to bed because I can because it's my vacation! (Ok, I basically go to sleep/wake up whenever I like anyways, but I like saying that I'm on vacation).

No comments:

Post a Comment