Tuesday, March 31, 2015

The Hoodoos and Life's a Giant Game of Improv

Apparently I was talking in my sleep last night and had a string of totally unrelated thoughts that Mandy clued me in on this morning. It started with some of my signature pterodactyl noises followed by "Thank you, thank you, thank you," then "Let's go to the hoodoos!" and finally "Rehearsal, rehearsal, rehearsal." I remember having some pretty weird dreams last night, but none lent themselves to any of my exclamations but if you think that the hoodoos are something I made up, you would be wrong.

On Sunday, we were told we could hike to the Hoodoos, which is something I immediately wanted to do, not because I know what a hoodoo is but because I like saying the word. A lot. Enough to say it in my sleep, apparently.

Poor camera. Poor phone.
Now, although this hike was wonderful, something horrible has happened to me. When I first stopped to take a picture, I discovered that my beloved camera is not working. It says that it does not recognize the lens! Perfect place for this to happen, right? Ughhh. I've since looked it up and the nearest Best Buy is in Calgary but there is an electronics store here in town that I will stop by today or tomorrow (and they can't help me, then we will be making a pit stop in Calgary on our way to Ekalaka, MT this weekend). If my camera doesn't do these places justice, then my phone really sucks, but it's trying it's hardest!

They're right in the middle there. They blend in, sorry!
So, what is a hoodoo? It is a tall, thin spire of rock that protrudes from the bottom of an arid drainage basin and is also referred to as a tent rock, earth pyramid or fairy chimney (thanks Wikipedia). So, we went to the hoodoos!

On our hike, Mandy got very philosophical. We teach an improv workshop and we tell the kids that the four rules of improv are "Show, don't tell," "Don't say no, go with the flow," "There must always be a problem and a solution" and "Have fun!" This is life, she decided. Don't just talk about things -- do them! Don't say no, have an adventure! Every problem has an answer and you better be having fun along the way. You're all theatre people now because life is just one giant game of improv.

I love improv.

No comments:

Post a Comment