Saturday, March 14, 2015

I'm the Lucky Winner

This post is coming to you courtesy of the Calgary International Airport's courtesy wifi! Which means, that I am at the airport and on my way to LA!!!

We said goodbye to Cessford this morning (after a very cold half hour where we proved ourselves to be insane wifi addicts and sat outside of the school to get our fix). Our drive to Calgary included a really great homage to Hercules and our dream of going the distance and took us through our old stomping ground of Strathmore, AB (where we stayed a few weeks ago during our residency in Rockyford). This is where we stopped for lunch and searched in vain for somewhere to find a money order.

After our pit stop, it was on to the Calgary airport, where of course, we drove right past the parking lot and had to make an extra loop (because it isn't a drive day if we don't miss an important turn at some point). I'm flying WestJet and Mandy is flying AirCanada, so we weren't sure if this would be goodbye, but it was not. We came to the WestJet kiosks first and I checked myself in but then found out that I'd checked in at a Canadian kiosk and not a US kiosk and there is apparently a large difference (but not big enough to put up a sign or anything...). So, basically, I caused a mini-scene within 45 seconds of entering this place. I found the correct kiosk and got things sorted out but when they printed out my boarding pass, the man helping me pointed out that my ticket had SSSS written on it, which means I'm the lucky winner of an extra security screening! While all of this was happening to me, Mandy was checking in with AirCanada and when I caught up with her, the gentleman helping her told me that the SSSS stood for Super Secret Strip Search. He was joking... at least, he said that he was.

Our milkshake senses went off and we quickly found a DQ and indulged in some milkshakes before settling into a few arm chairs to finish all of our paperwork for the week, which means I'm officially on vacation!!!

I get to go through customs in just a bit and will find out what is involved in my extra security check soon and then it will be time to fly to LA. Rose is already in transit and keeps sending us all updates about her travels. We'll be arriving at the airport around the same time and then we'll be reunited with Ellen, Cara and Phil for what promises to be an awesome week!

Side note: It's really great that my friends can pick me up at the airport, not because I'm not willing to pay for a cab but because I only have Canadian money... Gotta get on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment