Thursday, March 5, 2015

The Kyle Times and American Crime Scenes

I made the front page! The Kyle Times came to rehearsal and took a few photos and yours truly was newsworthy.

I've been saving any newspaper clippings I've been able to get my hands on -- sometimes it's hard because they'll write an article before we get there or one after we've left and sometimes not at all, but the Kyle Times is the greatest yet and might be the greatest small town paper ever.

First of all, it's free and who can do that these days? Now, the photo of me is really more of my back but like I said, I'm front page news. Other front page news includes a baby announcement that says "[Parents' names] proudly declare the arrival of their most prodigious feat; the greatly anticipated, the jubilant addition, the prophetic one: [child's name]. Born at [specific time], this little girl has risen from the rank of penniless, newly landed citizen to gracious ruler of all grounds, stables and manors." If this girl doesn't star in an MCT show some day, I will be seriously disappointed. Next to my picture is the ad "Doing Business Without Advertising IS LIKE Winking at a Girl You Like In the Dark!!!!" and apart from the terrible grammar, that ad is perfection. Normally I just save the parts I'm in, but Kyle might be different.

At rehearsal tonight, we realized that the kids know about as much about the US as we did about Canada. I showed a girl a one dollar bill and it just about blew her mind. This led to us passing around the $1 so the entire cast could see it and then a $5 and then it became question time for the TADs (don't worry, we still ran the show twice!). They asked if we had Starbucks and Walmart, how many stars were on our flag, if we were allowed to wear shorts and noodle straps (tank tops) in school, whether or not we had any sky scrapers and, my favorite, how many crime scenes there were in America. We had answers to all of the other questions but surprisingly, the last one stumped us! I am a little disappointed in myself. We told them that we might have time for more questions tomorrow, so I'll be interested to see what they can come up with between now and then!

No comments:

Post a Comment