Monday, March 2, 2015

Mammoth Town, SK

Once upon a time, they found a woolly mammoth in Kyle, SK and no one here has ever forgotten about it.

Before we talk about Wally, let me tell you, I'm never leave this place. I am moving into my billet's bathtub because it was hands down the most glorious body-washing station I have ever experienced. Seriously though.

Mandy and I were going to work out but internet issues made it so we couldn't find a work out so we went for a walk and explored Kyle instead.

Like I said, they have never forgotten that they once found a mammoth skeleton here! It's been 51 years, people!

We'd driven past the town's sign yesterday so we made it our destination, but on our walk, we also discovered Kyle's Mammoth Bakery; we hadn't brought any money with us but stepped inside and while the shelves were pretty naked, what they did have looked good! (I wanted to go back and try their "Persian Donuts" which looked like cinnamon rolls and I made the mistake of mentioning this to our billet, who is an angel, and they were waiting for us on the table when we got home from rehearsal tonight! I'm saving them for breakfast though and I shall report back). Every other sign in town had a mammoth on it! Along with Kyle's Mammoth Bakery, we also found Wally, a replica of Kyle's mammoth (which, for the record, was found 5 km outside of Kyle). Ok, the Co-Op did not have a mammoth on it, but they did have a F-Real machine and Canada has seriously been lacking on those up until this point!

During our walk, we also found our way into Kyle's town hall/tourism center (at least that's what I think it was) and while checking for post cards, Mandy name dropped MCT and we were immediately handed free post cards and Kyle brochures that came with Kyle's official pin. Does this town know that they only have a population of 423? Why do they have a pin! No complaints though and I'm totally going to rock it when I wear it!

Speaking of Kyle's small population, while there are 72 children enrolled in the Kyle Composite School, only 23 of them auditioned for the play. Only 21 actually made it through auditions and onto the first rehearsal! I guess this means less laundry next week!

Speaking of laundry, that's on tomorrow's to do list (along with hitting up the local fitness club, where our billet got us a key and all we have to do is pay $5 to get in!).

Also, just in case you were making the same assumption we did, the town of Kyle's mascot is the mammoth, the Kyle Composite School's mascot is The Comets. Go figure.

No comments:

Post a Comment