Monday, March 7, 2016

Off to NC

Hello from North Carolina, which is already far warmer than Wisconsin and it isn't even 9am yet! We got to do some exploring in Milwaukee before we took off yesterday and that was a lot of fun. Actually, it was kind of lazy when we started off because we just lay around our hotel room until it was time to check out.

Then we drove to Bel Air Cantina, which I wanted to go to partly because there is a Fresh Prince of Bel Air joke in Aladdin and partly because Thrillist listed it as one of the top 21 taco places in America. These were some really good tacos. Like really, really good tacos. Like Jas and I are planning on going back after spring break even though our residency is like an hour away. They had a "buy three tacos get rice and beans for free" deal so Jas and I decided to buy two tacos each and split the rice and beans. I got "El Uec" which I couldn't pronounce but it had grilled cactus, spiced queso fresco, black bean spread and roasted salsa plus the broccoli and artichoke taco which had grilled bell peppers, broccoli, artichoke, topped with pepitas and arbol sun-dried tomato sauce. I know that those are sort of a strange combination of tacos but they were awesome. Also fyi, vegetarian tacos exist! Because everyone has asked me what I was doing at a taco place when I don't eat meat. They also have fish tacos, that I'll have to try when we go back!

After that, we drove to Kopp's, which a homestay told us that we had to visit if we were in the Milwaukee area because apparently it's like Culver's to the extreme. For those of you who don't know, Culver's is kind of a mid-western staple. They have your classic fast food stuff but their big draw is frozen custard. Jas and I have yet to get frozen custard there (although we have stopped there a few times) but I know we will soon because Kopp's was fantastic. Of course, custard has more fat than regular ice cream so I think it's obvious why we love it.

After that, we went to the airport, even though we had several hours to kill there. We hung out there until it was time to get on the plane and then we got on the plane. After our flight, Jas had roughly one minute to make his connecting flight, so he shouted "see you in a week" and got in his cardio for the day. I had like three minutes but am also not cursed by the TSA, which I think Jas might not be after the drama he had on New Year's Day getting to Missoula. During my three minutes, I was able to catch the Minneapolis Airport's geotag because priorities.

And now, I'm in North Carolina with Whitney! For a whole week. Yay!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment