Friday, March 11, 2016

Guy Fieri Approves These Tacos

As I said yesterday, Whitney and I were going to Charlotte for tacos after her lacrosse practice! I'd read about a taco place online and when I suggested we go there, she said "Is it Cabo Fish Taco?". Well, no, it wasn't Cabo Fish Taco, but Whitney told me that she had gone to Cabo Fish Taco a few years ago after looking up places that had been featured on Diners, Drive Ins and Dives in Charlotte and I said, well then, if you liked it, we should go back!

When I was looking at the map, I realized that Cabo Fish Taco is in Charlotte's hipster neighborhood called NoDa which also happens to be the home of a bakery that I visited in the summer called Amelie's. I've been encouraging Whitney to check out Amelie's since I went there and since we were going to be down the street from it, we decided that after lunch we would go there to.

Getting to Charlotte from Pfeiffer took longer than it should have. There are a lot of stoplights in between here and there. Ok, from what I can tell, it actually took the normal amount of time but I was hungry so it felt like it took longer!

We started with queso at Cabo Fish Taco and it was the bomb, except we totally didn't need it because we got a lot of food. You could mix and match tacos so I got the lemon grilled shrimp taco and one of their daily specials the crispy trout taco (with jalapeno cilantro aioli). I texted a picture of my meal to Jas to let him know that Guy Fieri approved of my meal because Jas is also a big fan of Triple D and also because we just had really good tacos in Milwaukee.

After tacos, we were stuffed so we walked around NoDa for a few minutes before heading to Amelie's. We got our pastries to go because we were so full. When I went in the summer, the place was jam-packed so I ordered a muffin because it was the first thing that I saw (and because muffins are delicious). Before I went back, I did a little research about what I needed to get and it became clear that the two biggest sellers were the salted caramel brownie and the Napoleon so Whitney and I decided that we should get those; Whitney also picked up a macaroon because she'd never had one. They had a sign in the store that said they'd sold over a million salted caramel brownies and I could see why! The brownie did not make it back to Pfeiffer. I ate it in the car. Whitney wasn't the biggest fan of the macaroon and we saved the Napoleon until after dinner where we discovered that it was different than what we'd expected but I liked it. I'm not sure Whitney liked Amelie's but at least now I'll stop bothering her to check it out.

It took us significantly less time to get back from Charlotte -- or at least it felt that way -- and when we got back, we went outside to play volleyball with some of Whitney's teammates. And by play volleyball, I mean that I found a sunny spot of the court to stand and tried not to get hit. After that, Whitney and I watched The Carrie Diaries and relaxed all night. Today our dad is flying in so I'll get to see him too and then Whitney has a lacrosse game, but the most exciting thing about today is that Whit and I are planning a trip to fast food heaven, Cookout, for lunch. I shall try to write later, but I might be in a serious milkshake food coma.

No comments:

Post a Comment