Wednesday, March 2, 2016

How Many People Can Say That They've Visited BOTH Dakotas to go to Walmart?

I can! Last year, I drove to Williston, ND to get a few essentials from Walmart and today, I drove to Sioux Falls, SD for another trip to the Mart of Walls. The fact that I've made two trips into Dakota territory for Walmart is saying a lot about the areas I've been in because there isn't a lot to do in either of those states... To clarify, that means there has been even less in the parts of the world I've been in...

A lot of the appeal of driving to Sioux Falls (instead of driving the same distance to the other closest Walmart in Sioux Center, IA) was to say that we'd done it! The Walmart in Sioux Falls was pretty standard, although Sioux Falls had something that both Williston and Sioux Center didn't and that is Target -- aka Heaven on Earth. We obviously made a pit stop there as well.

After we finished up our business, we did treat ourselves to a little excursion in Sioux Falls. Regular blog readers know that my quest for geotags is never done and downtown Sioux Falls didn't disappoint with a total of four! Yeah, I know! Four geotags in South Dakota! Insanity. (Although it does make sense considering that Sioux Falls is the largest city in the state and the 42nd fastest growing city in the country -- thanks Google).

Apart from the adrenaline rush of getting to brag about our trip to another state, we were looking for a sugar rush in South Dakota. There are only four things on The List in South Dakota and two of them are in Sioux Falls (four geotags AND four entries on The List?! Way to go SD for annihilating everyone's expectations). Sioux Falls is the home of CH Patisserie. CH stands for Chris Hamner who won both Top Chef and the World Pastry Championship and decided that instead of being a small fish in a big pond, he was going to be a large fish in a small pond and open a bakery in South Dakota. Yup, nestled is downtown Sioux Falls, SD is a top-notch bakery that I am proud to say we have now sampled.

I got the Chocolate Dream (because chocolate) and it was a tiny, shiny orb. I could actually see my reflection in it. Jas got the carrot cake, which was also a shiny orb! They also had like a bajillion flavors of macaroons but neither Jas nor I are macaroon people so we saved our money and skipped those. It definitely wasn't what Jas or I expected (because who expects their cake to be dome shaped) but it was awesome!

After that, Jas stopped at Culver's (because following up baked goods with a famous-midwestern butterburger on your 30 minute drive is the way to go) and we returned to Iowa! And that is the story of how I've visited both North and South Dakota to go to Walmart!

No comments:

Post a Comment