Thursday, May 30, 2013

St. Mary's Primary School: Day 4

Carrying a good, old fashioned American meal and eight iPads with a horrible weather forecast was the plan this morning. Thankfully, the rain didn't come until after we made it to St. Mary's, but nothing could stop me from wearing my warm suit! My teacher outfit today was black flats, stockings, a black dress and a white sweater -- not very warm. Nervous about the weather, I crafted myself a warm suit, which was the sexiest outfit this side of Cape Tiwb. My warm suit consisted of my running sneakers, purples capris underneath my dress, a DSU hoodie and a bright green rain slicker (and we can't forget the tiny teal umbrella which aided the look). My warm suit was a success! I would have taught in it if they'd let me, but I guess there are rules against teachers looking like circus clowns...

Shout out to Michael McHugh, our British companion. He has been at St. Mary's with us this week, observing all the different classrooms, but today, he spent his time in Grade 6 with me and Miss Merkel. We had a third partner in crime! He teaches Grade 5 back in England, so I got a crash course in their education system as well as SA's. He and Miss Merkel both just completed their second year of teaching AND have very similar styles, so I let them talk away and absorbed their veteran thoughts. "Sit" -- as the students called him -- also told me what program he used to set up his exchange in SA, so I'm DEFINITELY going to check that out.

The kids had an assembly this morning, which was notable for that fact that they had great (*horribly sarcastic*) photos of us eating breakfast. The students here are so talented! Grade 6 rally showcased their talents in dancing and acting at the assembly. It was truly inspiring.

Miss Merkel and I got to teach all about America. The kids were obsessed with US money and I supplied them with interesting, but relatively useless facts about all of the people on our money. I got to talk about Boston (aka the best city ever) and Miss Merkel talked about Philadelphia. There was a bit of conflict when it was discovered that she is a Yankees fan, but we soon got over it because nobody beats Boston. Sir said that he learned a lot about America, so hopefully the kids did too! We ended the lesson by giving them colored pencils, crayons, markers, a "football" (a soccer ball) and a football.

They had a second assembly today. It was a rather unconventional presentation on littering, but I think having a giant stuffed ostrich come to your school to teach about littering should probably be the new standard.

The kids in this class are spoiling us! One student gave me a Halls cough drop just because she wanted to share something with me. Another girl gave me her old class photo and signed the back of it for me. She wants to be a fashion designer and showed me all of her drawings too. One girl have both me and Miss Merkel a necklace/earring set that her mother had made for us! I wanted to cry. All of the students and faculty have been so generous.

Before I came here, I said that the people I would meet here would have a far more profound impact on my life than I would have on theirs and that is the truth. Miss Merkel and I have passed out pens, pencils, paper, crayons, books and toys, but these children har given me more than I can describe.

I know that I can never repay them, but that will never stop me from trying.

No comments:

Post a Comment