Monday, September 14, 2015

Why Did the Buffalo Cross the Road?

Just kidding, it was a bison! And probably because it doesn’t care about you or your stinking road.

Speaking of roads, Sunday was the first drive day of the fall!!! Woohoo! Fireworks! Happy to be back!

The day started early. I feel like most drive days do at this point. I picked up Katrina at her hotel at 6:30 sharp and we were Wyoming bound. The first few hours of the drive were pretty dull. I drove and Katrina slept. Katrina might be better at sleeping in the car than Mandy, which is saying A LOT (she slept at least five hours of this 11+ hour drive day!).

The first few hours were Montana and then it was into Wyoming, and we quickly went from regular Wyoming to Yellowstone, Wyoming. Yellowstone is seriously lacking in cell reception and 4G, but I caught a few geotags before my phone essentially became a paperweight.

Yellowstone. How do I describe Yellowstone?

Yellowstone is flawless. I saw it wearing army pants and flip flops so I bought army pants and flip flops. Ok, that didn’t actually happen and I don’t think I actually saw any yellow stones, but NATURE!
 
Seriously, on a scale from one to oh sh*t, that’s a bison, it was more like oh sh*t, there’s 20 of them. We also saw an elk. I learned a very important lesson that it doesn’t matter how many bison there are, people will stop and lean out of their car windows with their iPads to take pictures of every single one, because it took us something like an hour and a half to drive the 19 miles from the park entrance to Old Faithful… And yes, we did see bison cross the road. Even with my annoyance at the Apple maniacs and their questionable driving, it was simply spectacular.

Oh sh*t, that's a bison
Oh sh*t, there's 20

Next we went to see Old Faithful! We didn’t see it erupt, but we did get pizza and postcards at the gift shop and also put my selfie stick to good use. (Ok, questionable use, it took us a few tries to get both of us and Old Faithful in the photo).

After Old Faithful, there were less bison to be enthralled with so the drive went a little faster. It was gorgeous. Katrina slept some more! This was also when we reached an altitude of nearly 10,000 ft. I was basically in an airplane.

When we got to Lander, we blew through it because we’re staying outside of town in our own cabin. This isn’t a haunted slave cabin like the one I stayed in when I was in Alabama back in June, but it doesn’t have WiFi, so this is something familiar about it. There are also lots of dead animals on the walls. Like a lot. And they’re all staring at me.


Getting ready for a fun week out here, my next post will talk about what I did on Monday morning. Please refer to the line in the previous paragraph about the lack of WiFi in my living quarters before harassing me about posting photos or my thoughts (Mom).

No comments:

Post a Comment