Saturday, September 12, 2015

Earning My Missoula Passport Stamps

A few days ago, I posted about the New City Passport and how it is supposed to get a new resident out into their new home, and Missoula is sort of my city now and I got to go exploring today. I didn't follow one of the Passport rules of photographing everything because I'm not actually working on creating a scrapbook since I don't actually live in Missoula, c'est la vie!

Item 1: Find a good place for breakfast that isn't Dunkin.
This is what inspired my adventures today; I usually grab a slice of banana bread from Liquid Planet, but I thought it might be nice to try something new, so I googled "breakfast Missoula" and was on my way. Yesterday, I mentioned that there aren't any Dunkin Donuts in Montana, so finding any decent breakfast place would fulfill this requirement but I went with Catalyst because it was only about four blocks away -- two past Liquid Planet. It was crowded when I got there and I was in a rush (see Item 2) but luckily for me, I'd planned ahead and decided what I wanted before I got there. I ordered a breakfast burrito and it was delicious! I think I'd like to try it again at some point when I don't feel like I need to shovel it all in my mouth but there were some other interesting places that showed up on my Google search that I might need to check out before I go back!

Item 2: Go to a yoga class.
Technically, I already went to a yoga class at this studio, but the Passport didn't exist back then. PLUS, this yoga class had live music and I've definitely never seen that before.

Item 3: Make a new friend.
I've made a lot of new friends in the past 24 hours. TADs bond quickly (I guess we do everything quickly because when you've only got five days to put on a whole show, you get used to it). But I put this specifically as Item 3 because my new friend, Molly, joined me for yoga. It was her first ever yoga class too! She'd done yoga for movement classes and watched videos but this was her first real class and she was really good. She told me that she's now looking up to see if she can take classes on the road! We also bonded because not only is she going to Canada this fall, but she's also going back to Kyle, SK! I went to Kyle and it was one of my favorite residencies, even though there wasn't much there! I told her that there is a yoga studio in Swift Current, which is about an hour away!

Item 4: Make dinner - get all of the ingredients from a local farmer's market or independent stores.
Technically, I didn't complete this one because I can't actually make dinner, but just my luck, the Missoula Farmer's Market was happening downtown today, so I went for a stroll. I saw onions the size of cantaloupes! Seriously! I wish I could have made myself some dinner!

Item 5: Find a thrift store.
I'm pretty sure I found a pawn shop, but I'll give myself credit anyways.

Item 6: Visit your local library and take out a book.
Another partial credit here. I couldn't get a library card because I'm not a Montana resident (not that I would have taken out a book on account of the fact that I'm leaving tomorrow). Sad face.

Item 7: Visit at least one popular tourist attraction.
I'm not sure Missoula has more than one popular tourist attraction, but I went there. I hiked the M! (Again!). The M is sort of exactly what it sounds like. It's a giant M on a mountain. Thank you, University of Montana. Hiking the M is kind of a TAD Merit Badge. I'm pretty sure it is a merit badge for anyone who has ever visited Missoula. I went with Katrina and her regular partner, Jas, Molly and another TAD, Whitney. I didn't take a picture of the M, because up close, it doesn't look like anything -- you hike the M to look at everything else!

Left to right: Whitney, Jas, me, Molly, Katrina

No comments:

Post a Comment