Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Idaho Potatoes and The Scorch Trials


I returned to Wyoming today, but not before getting some Idaho potatoes for lunch. I was going to go to a restaurant in Victor, ID called Grumpy's Goat Shack (for reasons that would make sense to my college clique but don't make sense to anyone else so I'm not going to elaborate) but they were closed for the season. Rude. Knowing that Victor was my last chance to get authentic Idaho potatoes in Idaho, I combed the streets for another option and found it. I got a grilled cheese because it was basically the only thing on the menu that was meat-free but the fries were really the main attraction here.

Tastes like potatoes and love.
Also, let's talk about dipping sauces. Ketchup has always been and continues to be my go to but recently, I have felt morally obligated to accept ranch dressing whenever it is offered (whether it is with fries or some other food group) because I know it was what Mandy would want, so I got ranch with my fries today. I did not, however, get "fry sauce." Everyone out here is crazy for fry sauce. They act like it's a big deal but it's mayo and ketchup. Like really people, it is not that big of a deal.

After that, I drove on the scenic Highway 33, which is apparently one of the most beautiful roads in America. I like to think of it as the craziest road I've ever driven while practicing my Oscar acceptance speech -- I'd like to thank the Academy for this award and for keeping me from driving off the road.

I'm staying at a hostel in Teton Village, WY, which is part of Jackson Hole but not actually Jackson (confusing, I know). Well, I got to the hostel before I could actually check in, so I went to Jackson itself to do some exploring. I have decided that Jackson is pretty much Banff but in Wyoming. I walked around and saw a lot of stuff (including some very tempting baked goods) and thought about how Wyoming will find any excuse to decorate with dead animals. I also saw an ice cream parlor where I could buy a gun. Thank goodness for Wyoming.

Being in a semi-civilized area again meant that I could enjoy one of my favorite things and go to the movies! I went to see The Scorch Trials, which stars Teen Wolf dream boat, Dylan O'Brien. That was basically the criteria I used to decide what movie to see... Despite the fact that the Maze Runner series is a personal favorite of two of my favorite people, I've never read the books, but I enjoyed the first movie and decided I would check out the sequel. What I really enjoyed were the pre-movie advertisements; you learn a lot about an area from what shows up before the movie begins and I learned a lot about Jackson/Jackson Hole -- some somewhat important stuff about their local banks and how to take care of your dog, but most importantly, I learned all about the movie Shane because that *surprise, surprise* classic Western was shot in Jackson Hole. How classic it actually is, I do not know, but I watched a lot of clips from it today.


I don't think that The Scorch Trials was a great film but I did have the entire theatre to myself and that was pretty great!

I'm now chilling in my hostel where I found out about a new website that's like Airbnb except it's free! People are just like yo, come stay on my couch and I'm like ok! Well, no, it isn't really like that but I'm still going to check it out.

Tomorrow the plan is to visit the National Elk Refuge but I keep getting conflicting reports on whether or not there will actually be any elk there so I guess we'll find out. (Also for anyone who might be confused, I mean "elk" like the horned, four legged animal and not "elf" like Orlando Bloom in a long blonde wig. I don't know where the nearest Elf Refuge is... Mandy).

2 comments: