Monday, September 14, 2015

Sinks Canyon and Brown Trout

Our little cabin is on Sinks Canyon Road and is about half a mile away from the actual Sinks Canyon. Actually, we can hear/see the river (Popo Agie River) that created Sinks Canyon from our cabin, so we decided we’d start out this week with a little nature walk/hike.

We drove down the road towards where we knew the canyon would be and stopped every time we saw a sign. This included a sign for a trout lookout. We didn’t think there would be any trout but we were wrong! They were brown trout, because apparently those are the trout that spawn in the fall. There was also trout food for 25 cents and that’s went the trout went wild (ok, they have always been wild, but man, do they really like their food!).

After that, we drove down the road and parked at the visitor’s center (that is only open from Memorial Day to Labor Day, so it wasn’t very welcoming). We walked up to the Sinks Canyon lookout and wow. It was something to look at.

Next, we walked down to the Sinks Canyon caverns (which you could see from the lookout) and once again wow. I didn’t know Wyoming had so much stuff!


Since our goal had been to go on a hike, we proceeded even further to the one-mile nature trail. So, do bears crap in the woods? Everywhere, apparently. We needed to watch our step for the majority of our little hike. To be fair, I cannot confirm that it was bear scat, but the adage isn’t about where mountain lions relieve themselves… We also had to cross a bridge of questionable strength. And finally, my favorite part, we found a dismembered deer leg. Why did I take a picture of it? I’m not quite sure, but I did, so you get to see it!

Yum.
And now, it’s time for Aladdin auditions! I’m a little nervous because I haven’t looked at the show since I went on break and we might have a really big turnout but MCT is a bit like riding a bicycle and I think it’s going to be great!

No comments:

Post a Comment