Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Send Yourself 30 Postcards and Get the 31st Free!

I wrote this last night but it wouldn't post so here you go:

Today was another foody day but we did some sight seeing in between bites too!

We took the Metro today as well. I am usually pretty weary of taking public transportation in unknown areas and DC confirms these feelings. I do not like their subway system! Is it really so hard to put up maps? I like maps. Washington DC does not apparently. We went to Eastern Market where I discovered more snapstickers!!! Woot woot! If you haven't figure it out yet, I have two loves in this life and they are food and snapstickers, which is why today was a good day.

We got lunch from Tortilla Cafe which doesn't look like much from the outside but it is Guy Fieri (and Thomson Jaffe) approved. It's all Mexican and Salvadoran food. I bolded the "and" because Salvadoran cuisine means one thing and that one thing makes me very happy. Salvadoran food means pupusa. I first tried pupusa in LA at another Buzzfeed suggested restaurant and I fell in love with it. I didn't fall in love with the devil coleslaw that came with it (and that came with today's pupusa) but pupusa is my jam! Well, it isn't actually jam, but it is delicious and I was very excited. It was so good! Super filling too -- I couldn't even come close to finishing it.

Next, we went to the Museum of Unnatural History, which should really be called the Gift Shop of Unnatural History. It's just a very odd store. Lots of neat things (they had my pencil case!) but extremely odd. I almost bought myself the Dinosaur Reenactment Kit which came with: one meteor, three dinosaurs and revenge (cold). And no, I'm not joking. Here we also found Zombie Donuts, which didn't really have anything to do with the undead. Zombie Donuts wasn't on the list, we literally just walked past it and said "donuts!" They were cool because they made the donuts fresh and you got to customize them. I was still very full so I didn't really want a donut at that point, but I had to try it!

After that, we went to the United States Postal Museum. I am like the post office's biggest fan so I'm a little disappointed that they weren't prepared for my visit with a red carpet or a banner (ok, maybe Freo is their biggest fan, but they always give him dog treats!) but it was actually really interesting. I learned all about stamps! I like stamps. I have Harry Potter and Batman stamps at home. I have been using the same bird stamps since I left home for my postcard diary (thanks to a generous donation from my dad) but I'm on my last sheet! I don't even know how this happened!!! That means that I've sent nearly 80 post cards this year (not all of them were to myself, but I know that a fair few were!). So, like I said, they probably should have had a parade ready for me because people don't send that much mail anymore and I'm clearly a pro. I left with a free postcard because I guess when you've send yourself as many as I have, you earn a freebie at some point.

After that, I got us turned around on the metro. It was an easy fix -- nothing like spending 45 minutes climbing the wrong mountain -- and then I went back to the hostel for a cat nap. Yes, I actually napped. No, I don't think that there is anything wrong with me, but it's hard to be sure.

Dinner was at &pizza. Yes, that is the name of the restaurant, that comes, you guessed it, from The List. I liked it there, they made the pizza right in front of you and you could choose from one of their signature pizzas or create your own. I went with their signature Gnarlic (which I'm still not sure how to pronounce) and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

We're heading to PA tomorrow and I am very excited. I'm going to get to see about 94% of my friends and have happy fun times with them. Also, just in case you thought I was the only Jaffe girl doing cool stuff, here is a picture of Whitney riding a camel:

No comments:

Post a Comment