Monday, July 13, 2015

It Doesn't Matter How Quickly You Walk...

After a very interesting morning that involved the comedy of errors in printing (apparently, West Point doesn't allow flash drives on any of their computers...), auditions and rehearsal, Melissa and I decided to go for a hike. Technically, we decided that we'd go hiking last night but we actually went for the hike today, so who cares?

We went to Bear Mountain State Park since they were the first park listed in our hotel's guide book! We got a trail map, that had a bunch of trails labeled easy, difficult and challenging. None said moderate, which I should have taken as a sign, but I didn't. Half of the trails were like one mile and the others were 10, so we went for a four-ish mile hike that would take us up to the Perkins Tower (still not sure what it is, but it was somewhere to walk to). Early on in the hike, I started telling myself that it didn't matter how quickly I walked because it was going to be the same number of steps either way and I wanted to enjoy every moment! I had Colors of the Wind stuck in my head for a lot of the day, I was feeling very zen and one with nature. Very soon, however, I just didn't want to take anymore steps. This hike was 10-miles worth of work in a four mile package!

On the hike, I saw this rock that said "Your Intuition Led You Here." In the back of my head, I thought that my intuition is usually what makes my hike up the wrong mountain in Canada, but that's nice. Intuition is also what makes me pick a "challenging" trail when I don't want to be challenged!

Most of the hike was at a 90 degree angle. I don't care if that technically isn't possible because it sure felt like it! It was nuts and I was exhausted but I made it to the top and that is what matters!!!
I always look cute after doing the impossible!

2 comments:

  1. Always follow your intuition -- even if it tells you to turn left when the "right way" is right -- there's a reason you were suppose to go left even if you never find out why. And yes, you look cute doing the impossible. FYI, tell Mandy she has fallen WAY behind in her blogging! How is a second mom suppose to know how the girl is doing on the other coast if she never posts anything!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will let Mandy know when I see her in a month!

      Delete