Saturday, July 30, 2016

(San) Juan of a Kind

I said no pun titles yesterday but now it's today and you have to deal with my puns. (I guess you don't, you can always stop reading).

Big news to start off the day: Our hostel has free breakfast and today was French toast! Yeah, these guys branch out past banana pancakes, Oasis Hostel in Granada (just kidding, no hard feelings, I still love pancakes). This French toast had fruit on it too! I'm sure you're envisioning strawberries or bananas at this point but you are wrong! They actually put watermelon and papaya on the French toast! I found it surprisingly enjoyable and am excited for whatever they'll put on my plate tomorrow.

Whitney and I hung out at the hostel for most of the day. She made friends, I read and occasionally made comments in whatever conversation she was having, as is my usual way.

In the afternoon we took a shuttle to the beach. We saved money by opting out of renting surf boards and taking lessons and just went swimming.*

*we attempted to swim.

The waves were big and we both came very close to losing our swimsuit bottoms on multiple occasions. The beach was also populated by lots of hermit crabs to the point where Whitney gave up searching for seashells because "all of the ones I like are populated."

We got burritos for dinner which was great because who doesn't like a good burrito and brought cake back to the hostel with us! I got chocolate cake and it was delicious. Now Whitney is continuing to make friends (drinking games) while I continue my intellectual pursuits. Everyone at the hostel (and maybe everyone in Nicaragua from the sound of it) is gearing up for Sunday Funday. Our hostel is wonderfully thoughtful and goes to get our tickets for us so we don't have to wait in line at 9am. My job tomorrow is to not read, get a free shirt and make sure Whitney frequently reapplies sunscreen. Whitney's job isn't fit for print. I might have done the Lava Shot but I'm not so sure about how I will handle this challenge.

Wish me luck and read my blog posts.

2 comments: