Sunday, July 24, 2016

Nicaragua's Next Big Superhero

Could be me!! Ok, that seems highly unlikely since I don't speak Spanish but I do have an idea for a superhero that I'm sure both Marvel and DC will be drooling over when I explain it a few paragraphs from now.

We slept in this morning since our plans were relaxed to see the least. I had looked up a breakfast place nearby that seemed delicious so we headed there. I got banana pancakes which were more like pancakes with bananas on top but semantics aside, they were just as good as the reviews on TripAdvisor suggested. Now, I must add a personal pet peeve of mine: leftover pancakes! The order was just three pancakes but they were big! I told Whitney that I was having a hard time finishing them and she suggested a to go box. I was disgusted! Anyone who says that leftover pancakes are edible is a liar and can't be trusted. Cold pancakes take the joy out of the world's fluffiest breakfast dish!!! It's like watching someone kick a puppy made out of bacon and eggs. Eating a forsaken pancake out of a Styrofoam container essentially the equivalent of eating dirt. Dirt mixed with other things people don't like eating. It's the worst. Rant over. I want to go back tomorrow for waffles.

After that, our plan was to putz around Leon and take a shuttle from our hostel to the beach in the afternoon but when we got back the hostel to grab our stuff, two of our dormmates invited us to go out with them since their plans were almost identical to ours except that they planned on taking the chicken bus to the beach for a third of the cost. And that's how we ended up spending the day with Ryan and Holly.

Ryan and Holly are British and people who happen to be traveling together. They only recently met and are travel buddies for the near future because they happen to have similar plans. Clearly they're cool since we decided to spend the day with them.

Our first stop was Catedral de Leon, or as everyone here says, "the big white one -- you won't miss it." Apparently you can take a tour of the church and go up into the bell tower which sounded cool and everyone was right, you couldn't miss it, but no one factored in that it was Sunday and this was a church. They're a smidge busy with their worshipping to be giving tours, so instead we creepily watched a few minutes of the service and took some pictures outside.

We ended up taking a taxi to the beach instead of the chicken bus but we still got there! This was the first "real" beach of the trip according to Whitney, which means a beach that you can truly lie out on. Caye Caulker's beach was non-existent really and El Tunco was rocky but here were had miles of sand to choose from. I went looking for shells (I'm obsessed, what can I say?!) and Whitney caught some rays and Zs. The major downfall of this whole plan was that when I asked Whitney if I should bring my Kindle, she told me No. The answer was yes!! Oh well. 

Now, the major downfall of the beach in general is the sand! This is where my superhero idea comes in. I created a superhero character for myself named Season's Greetings and I have a power for every season (my alter ego works in a Hallmark store selling greeting cards). It is universally agreed upon by my crime fighting partner, Jas Spencer (aka Infinite IQ) and the kids who would ask us what our superpowers would be if we had them that my "fall power" is the coolest -- every leaf I step on is a crunchy leaf -- but the summer one is probably the most useful! The "summer power" is that when I go to the beach, I don't bring the sand home with me! We were all so sandy! It was mutant sand too! It was everywhere. Never have I needed these superpowers more than I did today. (And yes, DC and Marvel are fighting over me now. See you all at Comic-Con when we announce my development deal, seven movie contract and that I'm the founding member of the groundbreaking Justice Avengers, an unprecedented collaboration between the companies featuring their most lackluster and unpopular properties fighting crime and debating whose powers have the fewest practical applications).

We DID take a chicken bus back to Leon and getting on was weird because it was almost like a Speed situation where they couldn't fully stop the bus. In helping me on, a guy basically used my little knubby ponytail to lift me up... That's not a handle, sir and my scalp wouldn't be in pain now if you used the breaks!

We said a temporary goodbye to Ryan and Holly here so that we could wash off while they went to the grocery store and then we just hung out for a bit. We ended up getting a passable dinner and wondering if we were listening to gunshots -- turns out they were celebrating the Revolution (cuz it's a holiday here but we still can't figure out what happened) and we were not earshot from an attempted robbery/murder/suicide. 

Back at our hostel, Whitney has brought out her Eno because BYOH (bring your own hammock). It's actually made her very popular and the center of attention, which anyone who knows Whitney knows that this is exactly where she likes to be. We're changing up some plans for the rest of our trip now. Whitney and her godmother, Lindsey, have been swapping GIFS as we prepare to deviate from our itinerary, spend an extra day in Nicaragua (Sunday Fun Day in San Juan del Sur, anyone?) and add a stop to Jaco, Costa Rica into the mix. We're super excited to get to see Lindsey and I'd like to give her a shout out, a) for hosting us and b) because she messaged me tonight and told me to keep blogging! See you soon, Lindsey!!

No comments:

Post a Comment