Monday, July 11, 2016

The Cake Has No Calories (and other things that happen when your sister drops her phone in the lake)

I don't know if I've mentioned this but Flores is an island. It is a very cute, small island in the middle of a lake. Whitney and I went for a walk around the island yesterday and it took us roughly 20 minutes.

We decided that tonight, we'd enjoy getting dinner and watching the sunset. We found some food stands on the western side of the island yesterday and strangely enough, the sun would be setting in the west as well! Roughly an hour before sunset, we headed out. We got a hodge podge dinner from a few of the different stands -- ordering in embarrassingly broken Spanglish -- and while I'm not completely sure of what we got, I do know that it only cost 15Q, which equals roughly $2 and change. While I don't know exactly what I ate, I did see that every stand had banana bread and chocolate cake the size of my face and it was very tempting. We sat down at the docks (which are really just some stairs that go down to the water*) post-meal and debated if we should get cake.

*This is important. Remember this.

The answer to the question "do we want cake?" is always yes and if I ever say no, I've clearly been taken over by aliens and should be destroyed. So Whitney is going to get the cake and when she stands up, her phone goes down. And here is my version of events:

The phone bounced down the stairs and there was a split second where it looked like it would stop short of the water, but that second passed and the phone was where no phone should go. Whitney fell down to her knees and cried out in despair but I didn't have time for that. I dove straight in, not realizing what was lurking in the murky depths! First, a shark swam straight towards me but I punched it in the face and it swam away. Next, a kraken wrapped itself around me but I wriggled free. Davy Jones was coming for me but I just laughed in his face because that's the type of sister I am. My fingers reached out... I had the phone! I stepped back onto the dock and miraculously, probably because of my world class selflessness and humility, the phone was still working. Whitney was so overjoyed that she bought me an ENTIRE cake.

What actually happened: Whitney didn't move but I "springbok-ked" into action and grabbed the phone from the water without a thought. Somehow, it was still working. Whitney and I agreed that this meant the cake would have no calories and split slices of chocolate cake and banana bread while we watched the sunset.

No comments:

Post a Comment