Monday, August 1, 2016

Sunday Funday

Did it really happen if I don't blog about it? I think not! So here is the story of Sunday Funday (better than a Monday)

When I woke up in the morning, I was very excited to see that Harry Potter and the Cursed Child (Parts I and II Special Rehearsal Script with original story by JK Rowling etc etc. It has a long name) had downloaded to my kindle and happily started reading. I finished Part One before breakfast! We paid our money for Sunday Funday and impatiently wait for our shirts for the rest of the morning.

People at the hostel were in a good mood but they were in a great one after the shirts arrived. The different sizes get different colors and Whitney and I both got charcoal shirts with pink writing. I was stoked because we all knew that I was in it for the shirt.

Everyone who knows me knows that my general attitude towards parties and large crowds is the same as my attitude towards sports. This would not be my scene and that was cool with me.

Even the "shuttle" to the hostel was over crowded. It was like 16 people in the back of the pick up truck. 93% of them were tipsy, if not already drunk, and everyone was worried about whether or not we'd survive the ride to begin the official Sunday Fun Day celebration. The whole thing became even more ridiculous when we discovered that the first stop was walking distance from our hostel.

But we were there! Imagine a party with a bar and a pool. Brilliant, now that you're there, don't change a thing because that's all it was. Granted 75% of the attendants at any given party are not wearing matching outfits but other than that... there was dancing, music, tomfoolery and airbrush tattoos. The tattoos were the one stand apart element from your average summer bash.

I didn't make it to the second pool. That sounds bad, like I died or something, but I needed a nap and Whitney wanted to rage on so I left her in the care of some charming Irish girls we'd been hanging out with for the past two days and walked back to the hostel.

I grabbed my kindle and finished HP: The Play. I have a lot of mixed feelings about it. The first is that I still think Hagrid Grawp Potter is still a better name than Albus Severus. Secondly, I wanted to believe that Harry had a normal, boring adult life and apparently he doesn't. The whole play smacks of being half money grab and half knowing that they would have the budget to get away with any special effects they wanted when most other playwrights wouldn't dream of those things. I know this is an unpopular opinion and I don't care.

While I was waiting for Whitney, I decided to order a burger. We'd planned on going out for dinner but it was getting late, I was getting hungry and I knew that if I ordered food, the universe would expedite Whitney's arrival in it's strange universey way. I was right, she skipped back in right as my food was placed in front of me. And I literally mean skipped. Whitney excitedly told me that she had "yogged" back from the third bar. She was hungry so I gave her most of my dinner. She then ordered the poutine special and when it arrived, it had crushed Doritos on top. It's like they could read the drunk people's minds.

Our night was dampened a little bit when we went to pay our tab. They gave me the total for the day and Whitney the total for her entire stay. This confused us and the number seemed to high but when we asked for a break down of our purchases, it became a scene, involving five members of the staff and the two of us. They finally agreed to write out everything we'd purchased but they wouldn't give it to us until the morning which was convenient because we were leaving at 6am, before they'd be open. When we got our written receipt at 6am, we saw that we were correct in our belief that they had overcharged us, having added two extra meals to Whitney's tab. I wrote them note that essentially said that mistakes are acceptable but their bad business and bad attitudes were not. It's a shame because it really was a nice place but since we won't be able to get our money back, I plan on writing about the experience here, on their Facebook and just about every travel site I can find (and I said that in the note I wrote them.

Why were we leaving at 6am? Because we were going to Costa Rica! I'm currently writing from the bus. We took a "shuttle" (it was really just a car) to the border and then got on a bus. Actually, there was a lot more standing and waiting around but who wants to read about that. We all had to board the bus, drive 100 yards and disembark again so we could officially enter Costa Rica. My favorite part about that experience was that they had us put our bags through a scanner but could not have cared less what was in them; one guy was reading a paper and the other was on her phone and neither of them even looked at the screen or us as we collected our things. Either way, I have two new stamps in my passport and one of them is actually legible! Happy day!

So Sunday Funday *might* be better than a Monday but I'm on a bus in Costa Rica watching Zootopia in Spanish so my Monday is also pretty great.

No comments:

Post a Comment