Saturday, August 6, 2016

Let's Jaco-bout It

It's been a few days since I've blogged now, which I know is a rarity for me, but you, my reader, are at the mercy of my whim and my whim has been more interested in using the tablet for Netflix than it has been in writing since I got to Jaco. My whim is also very similar to my Whit and the tablet's actual owner has wanted to watch Netflix.

I'm now returning to your regularly scheduled posting because I have a two hour bus ride to San Jose and my phone is dead so I might as well write about a of the interesting things I've been doing.

As you know, we made it to Jaco with relatively little drama by our standards and had a great first night there with Lindsey, Glenn and some dead fish. We slept in on Thursday, appreciating that for the first time in a month, we'd been sleeping in separate rooms. Lindsey took us to breakfast (I got pancakes because we all know that pancakes will never hurt you) and then Lindsey took us to the pool. Lindsey and Glenn had to work but they were pool-sitting so we had a nice hangout to ourselves. The downside was that we'd eventually have to go up because we were going to have to walk back to the house. It wasn't a particularly long walk but the road to get to the house is best described as being the type of road they don't build where it snows. Basically straight up in a cliff, the road has a lot of hair pin turns that make you wonder if the person designing it has ever actually driven a car. Driving it at a speed of more than five miles an hour means you are taking life into your own hands. And we had to walk UP it. It didn't turn out to be as bad as we'd expected but I wouldn't recommend it.

Post- pool, the Netflix-ing I mentioned began. We started with Parks and Rec but I fell asleep and when I woke up, we were watching thefirst season of Modern Family. This was fine by me and we relaxed the night away with Sofia Vergara and pizza.
Friday morning was another lazy start for us but we had bigger plans than the pool. Lindsey and Glenn were going to take us out on their sailboat! I like sailing and by that, I mean that I like sitting in the sun while other people sail which made this the perfect activity for me. It was very relaxing and nice to be out on the water.

We stopped and pulled out the paddle and boogie board. Whitney went for the more athletic paddle board while I opted for the boogie board so I could simply float in the ocean. Lindsey went out on a surf board while Glenn stayed put. Lindsey pointed out that there was a tree on the nearby beach filled with scarlet macaw. Seeing them fly over the forest was almost more impressive that seeing them up close. At one point, something spooked them and they all took off and it was quite the sight of red tails and wings soaring in different directions. It belonged on a postcard.

But paradise does have its downfalls and soon, disaster struck. I felt a tingling in my foot and leg and thought that I was either having a stroke or had been stung by a jellyfish. I decided that the best option for me was to get out of the water and it became obvious on the boat that I had been stung on my foot. Whitney soon returned to the boat -- she had been stung on her arm because she's always copying me. But don't worry, in case my writing wasn't obvious, these were not life-threatening stings, just stingy ones.

Soon I was back to lounging in the sun as we returned to Jaco. We'd gone pretty far out so I had a lot of time to work on my tan.
At one point, there was a sea turtle sighting. At first, we all wondered if we were looking at a dead sea turtle since it was kind of funny looking but we realized that it was two sea turtles who, despite but being mammals, were doing like they do on the Discovery Channel. Talk about a wild animal story!

We beat the rain back to the shore and got fired chicken for dinner. We attempted to watch the Olympic Opening Ceremony on TV but it was easier to watch Netflix so we caved and went back to Modern Family.

Today, in Jaco, was the opening ceremony for the world championships of surfing so we went down to explore some with Lindsey. We skipped the actual ceremony and simply walked around the booths and got some lunch and then it was time for goodbye. I'm usually pretty good at finding something to write, but I cannot come up with the words to describe how truly special our time with Lindsey and Glenn was.

And like I said at the beginning of the post, all of this is coming to you from a bus headed to San Jose. It's rainy and had cooled down a few degrees so we shall see what the night brings. Honestly, your girls are getting ready for a lazy day and are excited to be homeward bound on Monday. It has been a trip to remember and one that we would not trade for anything but I'm definitely looking forward to saving some money by being able to drink tap water again.

No comments:

Post a Comment