Thursday, October 22, 2015

The Time Has Come

Today marked a turning point in my life and in the world; the time has come, I had to wear gloves this morning! Oh the pain! The agony! Ok, it wasn't like I needed to wear a coat or anything, just a sweatshirt, but being melodramatic is kind of a thing I do.

I'm enjoying my time in the "Queen City of the Rockies" (although numerous Google searches have yielded absolutely no answers as to why it's called that). I got a mani/pedi on Monday (who am I, right?!) and went to yoga on Tuesday, but did most of my exploring yesterday.

So despite the fact that people have only been out in Montana for like five minutes, there is a lot of history here! Fun fact: in 1888, Helena had more millionaires per capita than any other city in the world. That's right, in the world, thank you gold rush! It means that there are lots of pretty old houses to look at and as an added bonus, the school we're working at is right in the middle of all of these houses!

We started off our adventures in downtown Helena with a trip to the Cathedral St. Helena. We didn't pick the best time to visit, however, because we walked in on mass... so we quickly left and walked down the street where we saw the original governor's mansion.

Just like pretty much everything else in this part of the country, they do tours in the summer but not in the fall when I'm actually around to go on them! Oh well, still pretty!!!

We continued our travels downtown and I met a bird named Chuck (hey Dad!). After that, we returned to the Cathedral St. Helena and this time, were able to go in without causing an issue. It's really pretty, inside and out. It's only about 100 years old (construction was completed in 1908) but still lovely. I think my photo on the right with the lens flare helps add to the mystique!

In other news, there aren't any special geotags in Helena. Just the typical Rocky Mountain tags, which is surprising considering that Helena is the state capitol and all. You win some and you lose some, I guess. I'll let you know if I find out why they call Helena the Queen City and see you on the flip flop (actually, no flip flops, it's cold here).




No comments:

Post a Comment