Thursday, October 15, 2015

Starbucks: Ground Zero

No day is complete without geotags
Earlier this year, I drove through/took a selfie in Circle, MT, which is the farthest you can be from a Starbucks in the continental United States. I don't even drink coffee but I had the exact opposite problem today; I visited Starbucks Ground Zero.

The day began with me getting up before Josh, the same way I have every time we've spent the night together in our eight year relationship. We walked to his work where he showed me around (see previous blog post) and we got free breakfast (he's gone corporate in the millennial world which means that his office has lots of glass windows and free snacks). After that, I was free to explore on my own (Josh has taken the next two days off of work for me so I won't be solo after today).

Josh only works a few blocks away from Pike Place Public Market so that is where I went exploring for the day. I didn't see anyone throwing any fish which I think is like 99% of the reason people go there. I did see some giant seafood and that was pretty cool.

Across the street from the Market (although from what I could tell, it is technically a part of the Market) is the original Starbucks location. Now, Seattle is not lacking in Starbucks. Starbucks is like the Dunkin of the west coast. They have a Starbucks on every corner. Literally. But this was the original, which meant that the line was even longer than normal. I don't drink coffee so I didn't go in, but I'll probably have to stop and get Starbucks somewhere before I leave Seattle since this is the Mecca of the pumpkin spice latte.
While I was walking around the Market, I noticed an alley full of gum. This is apparently a thing; it's called the Gum Wall. It's definitely unsanitary -- in fact, a single Google search told me that it has been deemed one of the world's top five germiest tourist attractions. Germiest isn't even an actual word, but I'd believe it.

While exploring the Market, I found an interesting bookstore and probably ended up on another government list... I also found a store dedicated entirely to maps which I thought was pretty impressive considering most people don't even know how to read maps anymore. I found a book about what to do in Seattle there which gave me some ideas of what I could do next -- I went to the Waterfront. On my walk, I found the Ye Olde Curiosity Shoppe which would have been interesting to me because I like random odds and ends to begin with and then I found the most glorious of all knick knacks; I found something with my name on it. Did I spent $7 on a key chain? You bet I did.

I walked on from there to Pioneer Square which was "Seattle's Original Neighborhood." I walked on to the Klondike Gold Rush National Historic Park which wasn't a park but a museum. I learned gold rush stuff.

Next I turned around and walked right back where I started because I was going to meet up with my friend, Blaire! Yes, I have more than one friend in Seattle! Blaire is a fellow TAD/mermaid/genie who is taking the fall off (although she's headed to Portland tomorrow to fill in for Miss. Kayla Cuthbertson, temporary tour partner extraordinaire). We walked around the Market more and went on the hunt for lunch. On that hunt, we stopped at the Daily Dozen Doughnut Co. which was on my List of what's what and where to go. I had contemplated stopping there by myself and then thought about maybe going back with Josh but Blaire made the decision for me. They were cute and delicious! I think Josh and I are going to go back because he's jealous he didn't get any!

Everyone should know that Blaire is wonderful and I love seeing TAD friends!



After I said goodbye to Blaire, I did some walking around and ended up back at Redfin. Josh had to work late since he's taking tomorrow off but after work, we went to Cupcake Royale!!! Cupcake Royale is also on the List but what I didn't know was that today is National Dessert Day and Cupcakes were buy-one-get-one-free! Josh and I both got two cupcakes -- I went with red velvet and the royale with cheese and Josh got buttered popcorn and tiramisu. We each ate one cupcake and saved one for later (perhaps breakfast tomorrow?).

After that, we walked back to Josh's apartment and made ourselves some dinner and watched How to Get Away with Murder. We still need to make plans for tomorrow but we're having lots of fun until then.

2 comments:

  1. And you started this whole Missoula journey by stopping at the first Dunkin Donuts ... now you have been to the first Starbucks ...if there is a third "first" then you will have a definite trend!

    ReplyDelete