Saturday, August 1, 2015

Update from Schenectady

It's my last day in Schenectady, so I should probably write an update about how I've spent my time here.

Other than working on my brilliant retelling of The Ride of Symon Schermerhoorn done entirely in the ermagherd language, I've seen quite a lot here.

Earlier in the week, I went for a walk at Union College, where I saw the Nott Memorial, but never found my actual destination of Jackson's Gardens. The Nott Memorial is one of the world's only 16-sided buildings.

I realized this week (well, I put to words, anyways), that everywhere has it's own piece of history. Every place I've been has it's own something that makes it unique and interesting. Cohasset has Witches of Eastwick and the local legend of rejecting the Kennedys because they were Catholic (which is why they went to the Vineyard) and Schenectady has the Nott Memorial. Which students at Union College call "The Nipple" or "The Nipple of Knowledge" if they're feeling generous.

The Mammilla of Intelligence
On Wednesday, I went to yoga! Sorry, not sorry.

Master selfie-taker
On Thursday, we drove to Utica to see another TAD, Olivia! She is currently working at a Renaissance Fair in Upstate NY and wanted to catch up. She thought Schenectady was a smidge closer to her than it actually was, so we each ended up driving over an hour to get together but it was still really nice.

Friday was show day, part 1. This week, we were the lucky winners of a Friday show AND a Saturday show! But it really wasn't too bad, I actually like that schedule when I've had it in the past. I also went back to yoga on Friday -- there might be a picture of that. Apparently some yoga/health bulletin is doing a little bulletin on the studio I went to so they needed to take a picture, so maybe I'll be yoga famous!

This morning, I didn't have to be at the theatre until later in the day since all we needed to do was get the kids ready for part 2, so I walked back to Union College to see if I could find Jackson's Garden. And I did this time! Very proud of myself! I was also able to go into The Nipple. It was really weird because you knew you weren't in a round building and yet, it felt more like a dome than anything else. They had a very cool exhibit about Union for the Union which detailed how involved graduates from Union had been in the Civil War. There were a lot of them, doing lots of important things (and some less important things on the Confederate side of the equation), including Secretary of State, William Seward. I'm just filling up on facts these days! After I left, my dad told me that I'd been here before but I don't remember that, so it doesn't count!

Tomorrow, we're driving up to Maine while Whitney is on her way back from Israel! Maine is our last residency of the summer and then we'll be in the truck for four days to Montana and then... SAN FRANCISCO! (Ok, San Francisco comes after a few days in Montana after the four day drive, but it's still insanely exciting!!! Mandy and I are already planning the San Francisco Bay Area Milkshake Marathon, the sequel to the Calgary Milkshake Marathon. This one will probably be cooler because the name is longer and because we can use our cell phones to navigate from place to place, although I guess Canada is cooler from a technicality standpoint).

No comments:

Post a Comment