Monday, January 11, 2016

The Truck Says...

I know that I'm from the Northeast and that I'm supposed to be hearty and laugh at the temperatures that make other men shiver but I'm not. I get cold. I get cold and I complain about it. And, it is cold here.

No.
Yesterday, Jas heard me groaning/screaming at the news anchor when I heard how cold it was going to be through the wall at our hotel. I just don't like it.

But, going out in the cold is a necessity or so I am told, so yesterday, I bundled up to head out to Kewaskum, WI. Kewaskum (which if anyone knows how to pronounce, we'd greatly appreciate your help because we have no clue) is where I am now and is the home of our next residency. When I got in the truck in the morning, it said that it was -8 degrees, my phone said that it was -9 degrees and I said "Are you f***ing kidding me?!"

Our drive yesterday was a short one by TAD standards -- only 4.5 hours! On the way, we took a short detour and stopped at the National Eagle Center where we got to hang out with eagles and be their friends. Along with some eagles, there were lots of interactive things to do and read; we really liked the Native American story that was about how the eagle got such great eyesight -- apparently the eagle and the slug switched eyes for the day and the eagle just decided to never give them back. Moral of the story: If an eagle asks you to trade eyes, don't.
New friend!

By the way, eagles are gigantic. Like scary big when they're up close and personal, which they were! After we left the Center, I saw a few wild ones flying over the truck and that was insane (Jas was asleep for that and the moment when we crossed the border into Wisconsin).

It became very clear that we wear in Wisconsin very quickly. The first hint (other than the giant sign on the highway) was when the song "Black and Yellow" came on the radio, except that it wasn't Black and Yellow, it was "Green and Yellow" and the song was about the Packers. We stopped for gas and it was basically a cheese shop!

I'm so excited for all of the cheese! We got to our homestay and they have like nine types of cheese in their refrigerator! I'm going to get so fat and I'm going to enjoy every minutes of it.


No comments:

Post a Comment