Monday, January 25, 2016

The Airport is Far Less Stressful When You Aren't Actually Flying

Hello from me and my unbooked week!

Yes, three weeks into the tour and I've got a mini-vacation. I can't get used to it because after this week, I've got my "official" schedules vacation in March and then no time off until May!

I finished up a great week in Green Lake -- seriously great! I got to design the lights and the shows went incredibly (minus the kids turning on the projector screen mid-performance... that was kind of weird). It was also my 20th time doing Aladdin! I might have mentioned it in a previous post but I'm going to say it again here because that is totally crazy to me! 20 freaking times! And my 35th residency overall!

My next residency is Indianapolis, IN, which is cool for a few reasons: 1. It is, without a doubt, the biggest place I've done a residency in and 2. After a year and a half of high school "in Indiana," I'll finally be able to say I've legitimately been there (although technically, the University of Indiana -- which is where my high school diploma is from -- is in Bloomington which isn't close to Indianapolis). Now, if we were going from Green Lake to Indianapolis, it would be a five to six hour drive day and that's cool, except that we're driving from Green Lake to Indianapolis over the course of six days! And do you know what is directly in between Green Lake and Indianapolis? Chicago! And do you know who is in Chicago? Amanda Belscamper!

Yes, tour partner numero uno! Also, fun fact: I am both her favorite tour partner and her only tour partner! (Another fun fact, she's my favorite too. Sorry Jas, but I've only know you for three weeks!).

Jas is in Chicago with me right now and it's great, except for the fact that he shouldn't be. Jas was supposed to fly to New York this week but then that crazy storm hit and his flight was cancelled. So he's stuck with me for another two days -- taking the earliest flight he could get out of Chicago on Tuesday. This also changed our plans for the truck a little bit...

I do love my geotags
We'd been planning for us to drive to the airport, park the truck there, say our goodbyes and have him fly off while I take the train to Mandy's. Him not leaving until Tuesday left us with a few different options. We decided against trying to find parking by Mandy's because a) driving the truck in a city, especially a very, very large city isn't fun and b) Mandy's car was recently set on fire and MCT can't afford that. Our final decision was to drive to O'Hare anyways and leave the truck there even though neither of us was leaving the airport via plane. We then trudged through the airport with the luggage that we wouldn't be carrying through security and caught the train. I managed to get the O'Hare geotag without getting on a plane! Awesome. And as the title of this post suggests, it is way easier to go to the airport if you aren't flying!

Although Jas definitely would have preferred flying out today, just saying.

Jas and I took the train from O'Hare, which involved lots of new things. First of all, I had to get a fancy Ventra card. It's a plastic card like a Charlie Card except it looks even fancier and is re-loadable (so I'll be holding onto it for future adventures). And then we had to catch the train. That wasn't very hard since O'Hare is the last stop on the blue line so there's only one way to go. While we were on the train, we had a delay due to technical difficulties (I blame Jas because any time he travels by plane or train, things seem to go wrong!). Once we were back on our way, we transferred to the orange line and then walked from there to Mandy's place.

But, Mandy was out, so we made ourselves at home. And by that, I mean, we walked to the grocery store so I could make us so jalapeno popper mac and cheese! We also got salad and garlic bread so we had a really shnazzy meal. I'm pretty proud to say that I can almost make the popper mac from memory now, so that will definitely come in handy! Jas was impressed by my mad skills! As was Mandy's roommate. Mandy, who introduced me to the jalapeno popper mac at Homeroom this summer is still MIA. She'll be back eventually, just not yet.

Either way, Jas and I are planning a great day for tomorrow while Mandy is at work and in the evening, I'll be heading to the Goodman Theatre to see whatever show Mandy got me tickets for!!!

ALSO, break out the cake and balloons because this is my 400th ever blog post! I started this blog for my trip to South Africa in 2013 and have since taken it to Europe, Canada and half of the country! Hopefully, it lasts a lot longer (and maybe a book some day?! That would be pretty cool! Who knows!!!).

No comments:

Post a Comment