Tuesday, January 26, 2016

The Chicago Pizza Marathon and Other Stuff

I could write about this Monday and Tuesday in a singular blog post but the past two days have been so full that they deserve their own bloggy love and so this post is strictly about Monday, January 25, 2016.

As I said, it was a full day! First of all, Mandy finally got home and I got to see my love! I filled her up with mac and cheese and then we went to sleep because it was very late. On Monday morning, we let her head out to work and then Jas and I went out about an hour later with some insane plans.

Spotted.
I'd made myself a large, interactive map of things I wanted to do in Chicago. Most of them involved food, but Jas added two more to the list. We needed to get real, Chicago deep dish and he had two places in mind, Giordanos and Lou  Malnati's, so we planned a pizza marathon (later renamed the Pizza Path because we wanted an illiteration). I'd told Jas about the pizza marathon Whitney and I embarked on in Venice but this ended up being completely different and probably a lot crazier!

We figured we would start our day at the Navy Pier and go through the Amazing Chicago maze so we took the subway from Mandy's and when we got off, immediately set off in the wrong direction. Yes, I led us a complete mile in the wrong direction. Thank you, stupid GPS! Although, as we both agreed, we probably needed to walk that mile to make room for all of the pizza we were going to eat. (Later, when we recounted this incident to Mandy, all she had to say was "That sounds familiar." Ok, I get lost a lot! But it's ok as long as I say "it's an adventure!" while I'm walking off in the wrong direction).

We did eventually get to the Navy Pier, where we discovered that there was a Giordanos, which we took as a sign that we needed to get our first pizza before we could do anything else. We didn't have any pizza judging criteria until we started eating pizza and I will get to the break down in a bit, but for now, just know that we each got the lunch special (Jas got pepperoni and I supposedly got cheese, although our receipt said sausage...) which was pizza and a salad.

After successfully eating some pizza, we went to Amazing Chicago, which is a maze thing that we read about online. For once, my ability to get lost was put to good use, although I did run directly into my own reflection in a fun house mirror. I would have liked it if the maze had been bigger, although Jas seemed ready to get done when he realized that the maze included a few bangs and surprised that made you jump. And by "seemed ready to be done," I mean that he told me that he was ready to be done.

After that, we headed off for more pizza at Lou Malnati's, which meant walking back in the direction that we'd come from and then some (it's just like touring in Montana except I was walking and there were signs of civilization!!!). Since we'd already sampled one pizza, we were able to come up with some solid criteria while we waited for our second, so here it is:

Thomson and Jas's Pizza Path Score Card:
Rules of the Pizza Path:
1. Eat pizza
2. Discuss pizza
3. No pizza left behind

Giordanos:
Pros - shorter waiter time (only 15ish minutes, although this had to do with us ordering the lunch special) and the lunch special lasted from 11am-3pm (a whole hour longer than Lou Malnati's).
Cons - I may have accidentally eaten a sausage pizza there. I don't think I did, but still.
Lou Malnati's:
Pros - Cheaper and a more inclusive lunch special (even though we missed their lunch special since we arrived for our second lunch around 2:30 and it ended at 2, we did see that their lunch special included soup or salad and a fountain drink, while Giordanos' simply came with a side salad).
Cons - see lunch special hours situation and wait time was 30+ minutes
Cheese to sauce ratio (aka: the winning factor): Giordanos definitely dominated with the cheese and thus we proclaimed it our winner (although we're the real winners in this situation!!!).

Top row: Giordanos; Bottom row: Lou Malnati's
After pizza, Jas and I decided it would be a good idea to get donuts(?!). We wanted to try the Doughnut Vault, but they were closed, so instead, we ended up at Firecakes Donuts, getting donuts that we really didn't need but ate anyways. And they were good donuts, yo!

After donuts (and sitting in Macy's for like an hour... long story), we met up with Mandy. Mandy has an internship at the Goodman Theatre and was able to get me a ticket to opening night of their newest show Another Word for Beauty. She would have gotten Jas a ticket except that Jas wasn't supposed to be here... So, Jas went to see Star Wars again (oh, in between pizza, I did my best to push Jas's buttons by asking him questions like "What is a light saber?", "What is the force?", "Are these movies about fighting stars?", "Are these movies any good?". ...Jas is a diehard Star Wars fan and I have an awful sense of humor). The play was interesting. It was about a beauty pageant in a Colombian prison and is actually based on a true story. Yes, Colombian beauty prisons have beauty pageants! Who knew? 

At the afterparty, I got to meet "Mandy's crew." One of whom I already knew as a former TAD and the rest who I'd essentially met through snapchat. I'll get to see them again later in the week but we talked a lot about Chicago and what they thought about the city and my plans on moving here. It was cool. There were also tacos!

So, that was Monday Funday. I also bought myself a ticket to see Measure for Measure on Thursday at the Chicago Shakespeare Theatre. It's in Russian. Yup, Russian Shakespeare. There will be subtitles involved but still, I'm psyched. So much theatre that isn't for children!!! I love it. (I mean, I still love children's theatre, but I've done Aladdin for 20 weeks now! I need to see something new!!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment