Friday, May 13, 2016

Manitoba Time

I've eaten plenty of pizza in Canada but today was the first time that I went to Canada for pizza. With this week's residency being less than 10 miles from the border, I knew it would be an absolute crime for us to not make a trip to visit our northern neighbors! Pizza really does transcend all cultures and bring people together.

When we joked about driving to Canada to get some lunch with our contact, they had just the place for us! They told us that we needed to try Pizza Haven if we were going to go to lunch abroad.

I am glad to say that I can cross a new Canadian province off of my list because I've officially been to Manitoba. For the sole purpose of getting pizza. No biggie.


This was Jas's first real chance to get to use his passport to leave the country and it was not wasted either. He got to experience a lot of Canadian things today, like border crossings and kilometers! He was quite nervous and actually held his breath while they were checking our passports. The border crossing here was the smallest one I've ever encountered. It was teeny tiny! It was like a baby border crossing compared to others I've seen.



Fun fact about me, MCT and border crossings: I have crossed the US/Canadian border with each of my three tour partners (although I've only done residencies in Canada with one). I obviously made him stop to take a picture when we were in Manitoba. We didn't get any closer to the sign for fear of picking up for ticks but we still got our photographic evidence. As you'll see I was going for a windswept look... #Model.


Yummm...
When we got to Pizza Haven, they delivered. Actually, they didn't literally deliver, because if they'd done that, we could have stayed in the States. What I mean is that the pizza was great. I ordered the personal sized "zesty ranch pizza," which had a zesty ranch sauce, onions, green peppers, pineapple, mozzarella and cheddar cheese. Yes, I got pineapple on my pizza. No, I don't know what someone has done with Thomson. It was good and big enough to bring leftovers home for dinner. Pizza Haven didn't just have pizza, however, they also did dessert and I got what might have been the largest slice of red velvet in the history of desserts named after both colors and fabrics!

Jas noted that despite being American, getting back into this country was a lot harder than leaving it! I'd expected this but it was still very funny to watch it play out. They asked us if we had brought anything back with us and seemed pretty surprised when we gave our monosyllabic answer in unison: "Cake."

No comments:

Post a Comment