Thursday, May 26, 2016

Just a Girl, Her Guys and a Goat

Clockwise from left: Tacos 1, 2 and 3
Ryan and I have decided that most of our adventures revolve around food. 99% of what I do is food-related but this is especially so as part of my relationship with my best friend, which is why, on Tuesday, we embarked on what some might call a taco crawl but what we called a Taco Tournament.

We'd seen an article on Buzzfeed about going to Jackson Heights in Queens and being able to go to six different places and buy six tacos for $20. Challenge accepted. Ok, challenge modified because we couldn't find all of the places, so we instead decided that we would go to three taco places! One thing that the list did not tell us was that we should have brushed up on our Spanish before we went. All of the tacos we got were legit and trust me when I say that we could have gotten three tacos on just the first block of our adventure. Each of the tacos was different and delicious. Our favorite taco was the steamed tongue taco. Yes, we ate steamed cow tongue! We wanted to order something different!!!

We planned it perfectly to make it back to Ryan's apartment just in time for our next adventure. Our next adventure would span three states because we were returning to the place where it all started, our alma mater, DSU. Small note: Ryan is in the middle of a small existential crisis because he's officially one year out of school and is feeling directionless so I've done the very helpful thing of reminding him that I'm two years out of school and even more directionless. We weren't driving back so we could freak out together but instead to visit a few of our wonderful friends. One of our friends is gainfully employed by the same university that handed me a diploma after four years of blood, sweat and tears on my part. Billy Peterson (or Bill as his name tag says... blech) now works for DeSales University. I'm not entirely sure what he does there but he has an office and I wanted to see it. (It should also be noted that I'm the one who edited his cover letter and therefore must be credited with all of his subsequent success! Just kidding... a little bit). His office was so adult! My office for the past 18 months has been a car and I'm a little bit homeless these days so it was really cool to see how amazing things are for him at this point!

We let him head home so he could change out of his adult clothes and into something more comfortable before dinner and we took a spin around campus. DeSales has recently erected a new statue, Jesus The Teacher. Let's just say that we aren't the biggest fans of it. The view of our old home, Labuda Theatre, now has an impressive view of Jesus's butt! Speaking of Labuda, the Pennsylvania Shakespeare Festival is now in full swing and we ran into my old boss, Jill Arington! We said hey and she agreed to revamp an old letter of recommendation for me and then we were on our way to see Rose Hayes.

Now, all of my previous tour partners know Rose as "Rose the Goat." There is a long-standing joke that Rose looks like a goat. She explained the origins of said joke to me but I'm still a little sketchy on the details, but nevertheless, I call her Rose the Goat to avoid confusion with all of the other Roses I know (there aren't any others...). Rose also got a job in the Lehigh Valley post-graduation but it isn't at DeSales. She does fancy film stuff in Allentown and has a very cute little apartment. She also has a very new not-so-little boyfriend who I wanted to meet, so we all went out to dinner. We went to the Copperhead Grille -- which is kind of a DSU staple -- because I wanted favorite fries. Favorite fries are really potato wedges. Potato wedges covered in cheese (and bacon, but we got that on the side). They come with ranch and they are literally life itself! Billy and the boyfriend (Rose's, not Billy's, he doesn't have one) joined us and I'm glad to say that the boyfriend has my seal of approval. After dinner, we made a little trip to the local bar, the Tally Ho, to see a few other friends and then Ryan and I drove to his house in New Jersey to crash for the night. Crazy day, I know! And by crazy, I mean crazy amazing!!!
Just a girl, her guys and a goat.

No comments:

Post a Comment