Saturday, April 30, 2016

A Fairy on the Ferry

Woah, a day off! It's so rare for us! But that is what happened today and we spent it exploring Door County (or as I said in a previous post, The Cape Cod of Wisconsin).

I don't know how the Wisconsinites would feel about me calling it that, but that's what I'm sticking with! We're also leaving this week with a lot of Door County souvenirs because we received the world's most generous thank you gift yesterday. We couldn't believe it. You'll see Jas's overflowing arms on your right.

Our destination was Washington Island, but we knew that there would be stuff to do and see on our drive up there. Although, technically we weren't driving there, we'd be driving to the very tip of Wisconsin and taking a ferry to the island. We did drive the truck onto the boat, so yeah, basically we drove there.

As I said, we knew there would be stuff to do on the way there because there were a lot of pamphlets in the motel that we've been staying at and the top priority of the morning was pie. Jas found a flyer for Sweetie Pies and just about lost his mind. We had to go, so that was our first stop of the day.

On the drive, it became even clearer to me that this is a tourist area because every other town we drove through was "Unincorporated" but had restaurants, shops, hotels, etc. Unincorporated usually means, there are enough of us here to call it a town, but we aren't actually a real town. Here it clearly means, we aren't really a town, except for the four months of the year where the tourists take over. Not that I'm complaining because it made these towns a lot more interesting than the other unincorporated ones I've spent time in, just commenting.

Anyways, pie! Jas wasn't leaving without a whole pie (ok, he ended up getting a miniature pie but it was an entire miniature pie). I settled for a slice of apple pie. The woman who was working told me that the apple wasn't her favorite because she didn't like all of the spices and I had to agree with her (she didn't tell me this until after I'd bought the pie, of course). It was still good, but overdone if you ask me (which you didn't technically do, but since you're reading MY blog, you are choosing to get my opinion on these things). We asked her about the tourism in the area as well and she said things really go crazy from June through October and that last year, this tiny pie shop sold 11,000 pies (and one third of those were their best seller, cherry). THAT'S A LOT OF PIE! Jas left with their triple berry "cutie pie" and I have a feeling that the pie will not be driving with us to Mondovi, WI tomorrow.

We drove on to the ferry! Because I am a professional troublemaker/sarcastic commenter, the first thing I said when we got out of the truck was "I wonder if we'll see a whale!" My next comment was "I'm surprised because this isn't the type of fairy I'm used to." Jas then said in all earnestness, "Hopefully the truck doesn't end up at the bottom of the ocean," to which I reminded him that we were on Lake Michigan. He wasn't impressed when I tweeted that little exchange, so I then tweeted about how he could have been tweeting all of the dumb things I say for five months now and hadn't been so it was his loss, really. I didn't realize until the ferry ride back that Jas had never been on a ferry before which is why he was worried about the truck sinking. Oh well...

So pretty <3
Washington Island, like so much of Door County, is really a summer getaway and hadn't really gotten into the swing of things yet, so a lot of the big draws were closed, but we had come for one thing in particular and they could not close that thing! We were going to Schoolhouse Beach. We'd heard about Schoolhouse Beach when we were in Luxemburg. It is one of just five sandless beaches in the world. Instead of sand, it is made up on perfectly smooth limestone rocks.

It was beautiful! I sincerely wish that I could have taken a rock home! They were so tempting!!! But rock taking comes with a hefty fee and even though I easily could have gotten away with it, I decided to stick with the spirit of the rule and take pictures instead. I also built myself a little city of rocks! I spent a good 15 minutes dancing across the rocks because I liked the sound they all made as the rolled over each other. I also spent another five minutes throwing rocks into the waves because that also made a very satisfying sound.

After that, we drove back onto the ferry and back to our hotel where I have spent three hours poorly multitasking as I tried to write this blog and do a thousand different things at once! We're heading to Mondovi, WI for our penultimate week tomorrow and will be making a pit stop at Dunkin along the way!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment