Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Taco Tuesday!

Also known as Freedom Friday... but still on a Tuesday!

Yes, today was Taco Tuesday, which meant a lot of tacos, but there was also a lot of wine, shopping and just food in general. 

We started our day nice and early -- with a wine tasting. Yes, 10:15 am is a totally acceptable time to start drinking! The cool thing about our first stop of the day at Vinos Fuentes (also known as glasses 1-6) was finding out that I'm already famous here in Mexico! I have wine named after me!! Vinos Fuentes makes a wine called Ruby Red Thom(p)son and although there was some discrepancy between the spelling on the bottle and the sign, it is clear that the wine was made in my honor -- the wine is 14% alcohol just like I am! We didn't actually get to try my wine during the tasting but we did buy a bottle to bring home.

See? I'm famous!
Stop #2 was Sol de Media Noche (glasses 7-10). Unlike Vinos Fuentes, this place had cheese to go with the wine, so it was basically just like what happens when I go out to dinner and ask the waiter for "the cheesiest dish and strongest drink." We bought another bottle here, this time it was a white that we actually did try but due to poor labeling/poor translation, all we know about it is that mango is involved in some way.

Our final stop was La Cetto and we finished out the day at 12:15 pm with a final tally of 14 glasses.

Next, we arrive in Ensenada, the birthplace of the margarita! Having been wined out for the day, we didn't actually get any margaritas while we were there, but we did have tacos! Whitney and I both ended up having one fish taco (it was a fish stick in a tortilla) and one shrimp taco (shrimp and cheese and a whole lot of other stuff). Our dad had a different type of shrimp taco. After that, it was time to shop! I put an exclamation point there, but I'm not sure this was the greatest shopping experience; there was a lot of stuff to buy and a lot of people who really wanted to sell it to us. While I know being hassled is a part of the experience, it isn't necessarily a part that I like. I ended up only going into the rare stores that left me alone (or had really, really shiny stuff in the windows). All of the harassment aside, I did make a few purchases, although I didn't find new friends for my South African elephant figurine, Nelson, which is something I'm looking to do here. We also got another taco before our time in Ensenada was over.

After that, we drove back to the hotel and although the roads here are not as narrow as the ones in Capri, they're still pretty terrifying. Whitney wasn't worried though, she slept in the back seat, cradling her bottle of wine in her arms like a newborn baby. Typical.

Finally, we returned to the beach for another sunset and some more shell collecting. I promise that my obsessive shell collecting does serve a greater purpose, but that purpose is a secret, so just trust me. I found a barnacle today too! Whitney found a knife that had washed up on the beach.

But look! Sunset stuff...

Aww, we're so cute!

I don't even know...

We then ate wayyy too much at dinner and are going to sit in the hot tub for the rest of the evening. 

No comments:

Post a Comment