Saturday, February 13, 2016

Where the Pony Express Started and Jesse James Ended

Once upon a time, the St. Joseph, MO welcome sign said "Where the Pony Express Started and Jesse James Ended." Apparently that sign has since been taken down, but the legacy still stands. St. Joseph has quite the history!

In honor of that, today we started our sightseeing at the Pony Express Museum, which is housed in the old stable of the Pony Express. They're very proud of their part in such an iconic portion of American history (as they should be) although, I would like to point out that the Pony Express was only in operation for 19 months (something I knew pre-museum visit). Everyone acts like the Pony Express was this huge, epic portion of American history but it was extremely short-lived! St. Joseph was also a jumping off point for the Oregon Trail, which brought back a lot of memories of playing that game in computer class when we were kids (Oregon Trail, for whatever reason, is something that all 90s kids have in common -- back when we got to use computers one day a week and had to go to a specific classroom to do so, unlike today's first-graders who each have their own tablet or laptop).

After that, we walked a few blocks to see where Jesse James ended. The house is no longer on it's original property (it has been moved twice) but we were told that we could "see the bullet hole."  (What an incredible slogan). We didn't. I'd read from the little pamphlet I'd picked up that James was shot in the back of the head while fixing a picture in his house and Jas and I were really confused as to why someone would shot him from outside and through a wall when they could shoot through a window... Well, no wonder we were confused because after a long day, I got on Wikipedia and found out that the person who shot James was inside the house. These are things that we could have undoubtedly learned if we'd paid to go inside the house ourselves, but we didn't do that, so we didn't see the bullet hole but we did see the house.

After that, we drove to Kansas. We've been here for nearly a week and this whole time, Kansas has literally been five minutes away and we had no idea. We knew that we were an hour from Kansas City, but we didn't know that we've basically been sitting on the border for five days now! All we had to do was drive over a bridge! When we were in Kansas, I said "there's no place like home" because how could I not?! And now I can say that I, like Dorothy Gale, have been to Kansas (still working on finding Oz). 

After Kansas, Jas and I went to lunch at Cheddar's. Jas has been psyched ever since he found out that there was a Cheddar's here, so we had to go (I'd never been to Cheddar's). A really cool thing was that we knew a cast member's mom worked there and we got to request her as our server! It was very cute and I now give Cheddar's a big thumbs up.

In theatre news, tomorrow, I will be playing the role of Aladdin. I was going to be playing my dream role of Sinbad the Sailor, but then our Aladdin got sick and dropped out, so we were trying to rewrite the show to somehow allow me to play both roles, but now we've got a parent -- yes, a parent -- to step in for Sinbad and I'm, oddly enough, playing the titular role. This brings my tally up to four in terms of roles I've played in Aladdin apart from the genie (The Mysterious One, Dinazade, Cassim and now this). Fingers crossed that I can keep a straight face!

No comments:

Post a Comment