Wednesday, January 21, 2015

"From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever."

This morning, I convinced Mandy to get up and go for a sunrise drive with me. Bear Paw Battlefield National Park is 15 miles south of Chinook and even though we didn't have an earthly clue of what we would find out there but everything out here (including our motel) is named Bear Paw, so we went out for a look.

Turns out, it was a place where some white people killed a bunch of native Americans. There are too many places like that it, but now it's a national park, so I guess that is something. It is apparently the place where Chief Joseph "gave the immortal speech" and said "From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever," which seems kind of fitting since we woke up at the butt crack of dawn for this. We got some really great views along our drive and of the park as well. The Park is actually a trail that you can walk with all of the important sites from the Battle identified, but it was windy and 8am, so we settled for views over the vista. We also saw a big group of white tail deer at the Park (which might I add, I identified on sight and only Googled later to verify) -- the search is still on for a moose, however, because I will see one before this tour is over!

I totally freaked Mandy out by pulling over on the side of the road to take these

Sorry not sorry
Bear Paw Battlefield Trail
"Thomson, take a picture of me by this rock!"

No comments:

Post a Comment