Monday, June 29, 2015

150 Years Later.

Today might have been a first. Three (kind of) balanced meals from three different restaurants on the list. I'll start with breakfast since it's the first meal of the day! 
We went to Astro Doughtnuts & Fried Chicken for breakfast. There wasn't any fried chicken to be had in the morning (not that I could have had it anyways) but I did try the creme brulee donut. I got it because I didn't want to get just a plain donut and I really liked it. I wasn't expecting a cream filling but it was yummy. I really liked the crunch which is a weird thing to say about the donut, but I say what I feel. My donut is the squarish one if you look at the picture on the lefthand side of your screen.

Now, we are good thespians and that means a trip to the theatre and in DC, that mean's Ford's Theatre. Yes, that theatre. The theatre that uses Abraham Lincoln's face as part of their logo (not kidding -- I wonder how long they waited before they made that design choice). 
So, Mrs. Lincoln, what'd ya think of the play?

I liked the sign that said "No Firearms Permitted" that was posted as we walked into Ford's Theatre. It's about 150 years too late, but I'm sure it's useful all the same. The first half of the tour is self-guided and takes you through the whole Civil War up until the assassination, at which point you get to go into the theatre. In the theatre, we watched a really weird one-man show from the perspective of the man who killed John Wilkes Booth. It was interesting, but odd.
After that, we walked back to the National Mall, where I discovered more snap stickers! Long live the snapstickers! Viva la snapstickers! Carpe de snapstickers!!!!! We went to the Air and Space Museum and then the Museum of Natural History, both of which I've already been to and will admit being a little bored at but still very cool. 
After museum hopping, we went lunch hunting. There isn't a lot of food by the mall so we just wandered until we found a place we'd passed yesterday, District Taco. When we passed yesterday, I told Melissa that I thought it might be on the list but today I verified and there it was so District Taco became our lunch destination. 

I must make a confession... I didn't get a taco. I got a quesadilla. I got a quesadilla that had black beans and shrimp on it. Who am I? (Ok, I've pretty much always liked shrimp but the black beans are new).  I even liked it. So weird...

Post-tacos (post quesadillas?) we walked back up the street and went to the International Spy Museum. Like the Smithsonian, I had already been here BUT a person can never tire of espionage. Especially when that person was 12 the last time they were at the museum and knew very little about the Soviet Union, KGB, the real life story behind the Academy Award-winning film, Argo, and didn't have the patience to read about them. There was a James Bond exhibit which didn't interest me too much since I've never seen a Bond film (sorry not sorry!).

I walked back to the hostel solo after that for a bit of R&R while Melissa went to look at something called the Declaration of Independence. I'm not really sure what it is but it sounds like something that Nicholas Cage might want to steal some day.

For dinner, we started plugging things from The List into Google Maps just to see if there was anything within walking distance and the winner was Ted's Bulletin. I got breakfast for dinner and then a slice of cake that was really just an entire cake. It was the size of my face. Face cake. The restaurant was cute (but not cheap like Buzzfeed had suggested). They're famous for their homemade poptarts which seems like an oxymoron but man, was that cake good.

More exploring tomorrow and then it is time to head a little closer to home because we are going to Philadelphia!!! Woohoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment