Thursday, April 2, 2015

Water Everywhere


My life is officially cooler than yours. Sorry, I said it, but it's true.

We went for a hike to Bow Falls, although I'm not sure it is really hiking when you're on a paved walkway. Water is the coolest, ya know? Water doesn't care if there are rocks in the way -- water doesn't just go around those rocks, it makes the rocks move for them. Water destroys rock! Water is so hard core that it can't even be a part of rocks-paper-scissors because it would annihilate everything! These were the thoughts I was having while I stood next to Bow Falls. It isn't necessarily the biggest waterfall -- not even the biggest waterfall we've seen this week -- but seriously, water is cool. 

It's also call that as we carry our bottles of water with us on these walks, we're like ten feet away from where they get it. Ok, so I'm currently drinking tap water but I am drinking that tap water out of a plastic bottle that once held natural spring water. Well, these are natural springs! This is exactly what they mean when they say natural spring water. Mandy and I actually had this conversation on Monday at Lake Louise when she asked me if I thought you could drink the water here but I forgot to blog about it. The answer is yes, you can drink the water here and you probably already are (after it has been filtered, but I'm being poetic so go with it).

After that, we got my camera fixed... temporarily. Apparently there is something wrong with the lens, but it is good for now -- thank you, kind gentleman at the Banff Photography store.

Now we get to what might be the most epic part of my day; the part that makes my life so much better than yours. We went to the Banff Upper Hot Springs.  A hot spring is a spring that is produced by the emergence of geothermally heated groundwater from the Earth's crust (thanks again, Wikipedia) and the Banff Hot Springs is heated to 40 degrees Celsius and at an elevation of 5,200 ft (making it the highest in Canada). It is full of all sorts of minerals (sulfate, calcium, bicarbonate, magnesium and sodium), so, not only can water entirely destroy rock, it can be made stronger by them! Now, do you want to know what happened while we sat in naturally, super heated water while looking out at some freaking mountains? It started snowing! Snow is also water! Ahhh, my life is so cool!!!


After the hot springs, we got gussied up because we are kid-free and free to go out. We had a coupon for $2 off a pint at the Banff Ave. Brewing Co. and even though I don't love beer, I do love trying local stuff and coupons so I was game. I got the Pond Hockey Pale Ale (of course the Canadians would make a beer named after hockey). I can't tell you much about it since I don't know much about beer but I actually really did enjoy it. I know that honey and citrus was involved. I'm still not a converted beer drinker (and doubt I ever will be) but I do enjoy trying these things!


No comments:

Post a Comment