Monday, April 13, 2015

Another Pin for the Map

So, my Where I've Been pin map is one of my greatest loves in this life and I'll be getting to add plenty of pins from the past few months and normally I wouldn't add a pin for somewhere I just drove through, but this pin will be a little different. Because this pin is going in North Dakota. For those of you just joining us, my entire tour is scheduled to be in Montana and Canada, which are not North Dakota.

We are in Lambert, MT this week and after our week in Ekalaka, we had some serious stocking up that we needed to do. Except that the closest Walmart or Target or anything was in Williston, ND. So, we went with the logical answer: we would drive out of Montana on our way back to Montana, because why not?

In planning our trip, we really wanted to make the most of it since it would be the only time we would go out of Montana into another US state during this tour and since I returned from LA, I have compiled a pretty epic list that lists all of Buzzfeed's suggested US destinations from coffee shops to ice cream parlors to burger joints and when I went to see if there were any ND hot spots, North Dakota wasn't even on it! Let me reiterate, this list is 17 pages long and there is not a single entry for North Dakota. When I told Mandy this, she said, "Is North Dakota even a state?!" And no, apparently, it is not! Although this article is from 2011 and ND is without a doubt a state now, they technically didn't meet the requirements for statehood in the 122 years since they "became a state" in 1889.

This was actually our shortest drive in a while -- even with our detour! It was actually quite nice. Of course we had to stop for a photo op when we crossed the border!

Our destination was the Super Walmart in Williston, ND. I can now officially say that I drove to North Dakota to go to Walmart (although why I would have to officially say it, I do not know). Found pretty much everything I was looking for at Walmart, except a post card. Williston failed me there! No North Dakota post cards for me (maybe my next tour will take me back to Williston, who knows?!). I might not have gotten a postcard, but like I said, I will put a pin on the map (because this story is just too good).

Mandy found even more than she had planned on when she found Rice Krispies Treats Treats Cereal. She has been talking about this stuff since we started the tour and all it took was a drive to North Dakota. It was apparently her entire childhood and I was clearly deprived since I've never had it. She says I HAVE to try it and I am seriously worried about what happens if I don't like it (she said she's going to request another tour partner). I'm not seriously worried because I do like Rice Krispies and Rice Krispies treats and writing about them is making me hungry, but this is a very serious issue.

We got lunch in North Dakota as well and then it was time to head back to our temporarily adopted home state. Now we're in Lambert and I don't have any cell reception, which is AWFUL (I spent weeks in Canada and was totally fine and now that I can use my phone without a care in the States, it goes out on me). The moral of the story is that you know you're in the middle of nowhere when the closest thing resembling civilization is in North Dakota.

It isn't real without a selfie.

No comments:

Post a Comment